How Do I Get My Rkt Smooth???

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 8 May 2009 , 4:25pm by PinkZiab

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 9

I've seen RKT's (rice krispie treats) used for many things on cakes and it's such a neat concept! I've done it a few times myself but can't seem to get them smooth enough. Does my fondant need to be thicker? Do I need to coat the RKT with something before putting the fondant on?

Here's a cake I did yesterday, ball and pins are RKT, but you can see they need help! THANKS!!!
LL

8 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 9

I cannot see your picture but I wanted to bump you. I do know that some people have said to dip the piece in candy melts to help give a smooth finish. Did you cover them with BC prior to using the fondant? I think that would help. I want to be sure I know how becasue I have to do it soon on a cake.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 9

You can make them like regular RKT or you can smash the cereal before you make it. You can cover it in buttercream and then smooth it our or royal icing. If you do it in royal icing you can sand paper it once it dries to get it super smooth also.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 9

The only time I've used RKT was for my Mickey Mouse cake (in photos). I used two layers of fondant which made a huge difference.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 9

julzs71, do you use regular sandpaper? Is that really ok to use on food? Just wondering.. icon_smile.gif

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 9

I guess you have to click the "img_1846.jpg" to see it - it's also in my photos.

I didn't cover it in BC before covering with fondant - I didn't have time for it to crust!

Thanks for those tips - I'll have to play around with it!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

julzs71, do you use regular sandpaper? Is that really ok to use on food? Just wondering.. icon_smile.gif

If it was going to be eaten I wouldn't use sand paper.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 9

Oh ok gotcha - makes sense icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 9

I lightly crush my krispies beforehand, use a microplane to sand any particularly rough spots, and use buttercream like spackle and fill in every gap and hole before applying fondant. Just like on a cake you want a completely smooth surface under the fondant, because any imperfections will show through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%