Using Two Colors Of Bc To Ice A Cake?

Decorating By knel Updated 8 May 2009 , 5:35pm by knel

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 11

I have seen numerous buttercream cakes on here (can't seem to find any now), where there are two different colors of buttercream icing used side by side on the cake. What is the trick to getting it smooth without smearing one color into another?

There is one cake in particular I am thinking about. It is a tiered cake and all the way down the cake, one side is black, and the other side is white, and there are red gumpaste roses cascading down in between the colors.

Thanks for any help!

10 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 11

Are you sure they aren't airbrushed?

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 11

knel, I think the cake you're talking about is made with fondant. As for doing it with butter cream I cover the cake in one color wait till it crusts then put a strip of acetate (sp?) along the seam then do the other color. Someone else may have another idea to help you.

nonnyscakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

knel, I think the cake you're talking about is made with fondant. As for doing it with butter cream I cover the cake in one color wait till it crusts then put a strip of acetate (sp?) along the seam then do the other color. Someone else may have another idea to help you.

Great technique. I will put away to use another day.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 11

Is it this one?
Made by Tdybear1978....beautiful! I have it in my favs!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=127

edited to add....
You could probably PM her and she might help. Maybe the roses just hidethe seam. Oh wait then what about the back huh???

Well HTH
OK the link isn't working...go down a couple posts and I attached the photo

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 11

Teri the link is coming up "specified photo does not exist"

Idreamofcakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 11

I don't know why the link isn't working so lets try this....
LL

nonnyscakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 11

Wow.... Idreamofcakes... thanks for posting that picture. I found it in tdybear1978's gallery.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272256

Here is her explaination . . . tdybear1978 says:
well, I pretty much just piped a line of icing where I wanted to divide the colors then I just iced with the white from one line to the other on the other side and smoothed then did the same with the black and then where the two colors met (which was a little not pretty) I just covered with the flowers. Does that make any sense? haha

It's just beautiful. Have you seen the more recent one that she did with dots instead of scrolls? Same colors with a W monogram on top.

Idreamofcakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 11

No problem happy I could help thumbs_up.gif
I had just found and saved that photo last week so it was fresh in my mind. I will check out her other work. I bet it's great too.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 11

I've done this technique with no problem using the large icer tip. Just ice one section in one color, then do the other color right above ( or beside) it meeting the two colors side by side. Then smooth it with a Viva paper towel or the foam roller. The colors don't run into each other at all. I use a crusting buttercream so that helps too.

KimAZ

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 11

YES!!! That was the very cake. Thanks you all!!! I knew you'd have some answers!! Have a lovely day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%