Help Asap!!! Please!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 8 May 2009 , 2:07pm by all4cake

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 10

Oh my word. I am having the worst royal icing experience EVER. This has never happened to me before!! But all of my royal icing is getting extremely thinned out when I go to fill in the cookies. I know its not the batch of royal icing, because I've used 2 different batches & my other cookies turned out ok. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's horrible!! It's also not the recipe b/c I've used it a million times. Please help!

9 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 10

Did it come in contact with oil or grease? I keep a set of utensils seperate for RI use...even use disposable piping bags. I also boil soapy water to wash the tips. One batch of ruined RI was enough for me to learn my lesson.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with the previous poster. It sounds like your RI was contaminated. Never ever store RI in a plastic container that once contained BC. I've made that mistake, and my RI came out exactly as you are describing. Now I only store my RI in glass containers that I can thoroughly clean and de-grease.

lkoenig07 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 10

I don't think so. I made it in my metal KitchenAid mixing bowl, I mix it with the colors in my glass bowls, and I use the plastic disposable bags. Its not runny until I start thinning it out for the inside of the cookie.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 10

What about your tips? I had this happen to me one time and I think it was because my tip possibly still had a greasy residue on it. It was after I ran them through the dishwasher. I only wash mine by hand now.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

I don't think so. I made it in my metal KitchenAid mixing bowl, I mix it with the colors in my glass bowls, and I use the plastic disposable bags. Its not runny until I start thinning it out for the inside of the cookie.

You are doing everything the same as you normally do and it doesn't have a problem until you start thinning it? hmmmmm...but don't you want it thinned to fill in your cookies?

Are you on well water? When we lived in the country, my royal had issues until we put a filter system on the house...sediment was the culprit or too much of it, that is.

lkoenig07 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 10

I do want it thinned out, but not this much! It looks horrible! Andno, we don't have well water.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 10

Maybe adding water a drop at a time until it is the right consistency will help...? I'm stumped here!

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to just start all over. Save your sanity!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 10

Add a bit of cornstarch, let sit about 15 min. If still runny add a bit more. Repeat until you have the consistency you want.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 10

If the humidity where you are is anywhere near what it has been here this last week...ESPECIALLY TODAY...I would probably only use 1/2 as much liquid(water, right?) as I normally would. It's so wet that my furniture feels damp...the air is saturated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%