How Do I Clean Up My Roses

Decorating By julesn20716 Updated 13 May 2009 , 8:11pm by darlene57

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 10

I'm making fondant roses right now - they are dark red going on a white anniversary cake. There's lot of powdered sugar on the petals. How do I clean them up once they've dried? With a cake I'd usually use Sharon's method of wiping it over with a paper towel and a little crisco.

Thanks in advance.

9 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 10

Use a soft paint brush to remove the powdered sugar. If the flowers are dry then the brush won't leave any marks.

HTH

Michele

Leonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leonie Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 10

Once you've brushed off the excess icing sugar try steaming them over boiling water - be quick so they dont melt - this will set the sugar and give some shine/life to your flowers. Use this method for old flowers you've stored for a while and it will bring them back to life.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesn20716

I'm making fondant roses right now - they are dark red going on a white anniversary cake. There's lot of powdered sugar on the petals. How do I clean them up once they've dried? With a cake I'd usually use Sharon's method of wiping it over with a paper towel and a little crisco.

Thanks in advance.

If your still having problems after the great advice that was already given. Try dusting the roses with a little petal dust.

Also in future try just a smidgen of crisco on your board wipe excess off lint free paper towel and roll fondant or gumpaste (i use a 50/50 mix) right on there. Not to much or ur stuff looks greasy. It works wonders.

Happy caking,
Stacy

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 10

Thanks everyone. I brushed them off and then dipped the edge of my brush in Crisco, wiped off the excess and gave them a quick brush over and they looked great!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 10

I agree with everybody, soft brush and then steam. If you actually use some petal dust and give them some color it would help in getting rid of the powdery finish and giving natural hues to the flowers.
Edna icon_smile.gif

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:42am
post #7 of 10

yes, I agree. I was using regular cheap ones you can buy everywere but I found I was sometimes losing the bristles onto the cake. I went out and bought a high quality paint brush, a super soft one that looks like a makeup loose powder brush and I love it. I don't need to use water or steam and it doesn't leave brush marks. Oh, I also found that my flexible cutting mat, semi opaque plastic not latex, doesn't stick to fondant. And corn starch, I think brushes off easier than powdered sugar. Good luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 10

The steam basically is to make the colors more deep and vibrant when you have brush your flowers..
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 10

I didn't start this post, but I want to say thank you to all of the advice. I love every ones tips.

You are all great!

darlene57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene57 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 10

to clean up fondant or gumpaste roses...steam them with a teapot or just a pan of water on the stove....just pass the rose though the steam a few times...not real close to the heat...it will melt the roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%