Mmf

Decorating By sweetcakesII Updated 13 May 2009 , 6:48pm by Lisaa1996

sweetcakesII Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesII Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 12

I have tried to make MMF several times now and it always comes out horrible. It is very tough and hard to work with. It is not plyable like the Wilton fondant. Any ideas or sugestions as to what I am doing wrong?

11 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure what recipe you are using, but I NEVER use the amount of powdered sugar it calls for. I add it slowly as needed.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 12

I always use the MMF and it never turns out tough. I use the instructions from Peggy at http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm and it always turns out perfectly. If I add flavor, I do it right after the marshmallows are completely melted. Try this website and see if it makes a difference.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 12

i alway's use it. i use 1 bag of mm marshmallows, 1 bag of con sugar, and 2 teaspoons water for marshmallow, mine alway's comes out good, do you use crisco while kneeing, and while working with it. i'm alway's greasing my hands, i put it in the micro for maybe 3 sec when i take it out of the fridge. like they said maybe a little less sugar, but i do use alot of crisco. i have to make a double batch tonight. hope this helps, i also have added a little water to. do you grease it when you put it away when done making it

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 12

I use the same recipe as ninatat and mine always comes out great!
What I do is put the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and add water then microwave until it is "soupy" and then stir in as much incing sugar as you can and then knead the rest in..
I havent had any problems with it so far
good luck! icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 12

I've only had pliability issues when I use Kraft marshmallows. Any other brand MM are fine, just Kraft for some reason make my MMF come out almost elasticy and it always wants to go back to the shape of a blob when I try to roll it out.

sweetcakesII Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am going to try the recepie off of the website given, hopefully this will help!

sweetcakesII Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am going to try the recepie off of the website given, hopefully this will help!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 12

when i went to buy my supply of con sugar and marshmallows. the double bag of marshmallows was 16 0z, i buy my sugar in the 2 lb bag, the single bag of mm's is 10 0z so i had to buy the singles, that could be the problem i remember once i did have a hard time getting all the con in but i just added water, and remember you really have to use the crisco, before during and after hope this helps it much more inexpensive

KimmieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmieJ Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 12

ninatat - I tried the same recipe for the first time last week. Do you ever have problems with it being TOO sweet? How about texture? Mine seems very soft and I'm afraid that when I use it for the cake I'm making this week, that it will just slide off the buttercream. I know I'm asking alot of questions, but does it dry well also? I'm afraid of cracks! TIA! And thanks sweetcakes II for asking this question!! icon_smile.gif

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 12

I use lemon juice in place of water - takes all the sweetness out of it.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 12

i use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF on CC and it's AWESOME! It also uses the lemon juice and some lemon extract to temper the sweetness and it's sooooo good! Very easy to work with if you put in the fridge for at least 24 hrs. then in the micro for about 10 sec. or until softer. Use LOTS of crisco while kneading and when you roll it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%