How Long Do Cupcakes Last?

Baking By LJJohnson Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:01pm by EyeCandy

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone!

My in-laws are throwing a post wedding open house for my husband and I (we were married in MN and they are from NE). I want to make a cupcake tree for the open house, but my MIL thinks it will take too much time to make and decorate the cupcakes after we get there. So...if I bake the cupcakes on a Wednesday (we are driving Thursday) using both choclate and white WASC recipes (unless there is a better one) but they were not eaten until Saturday....will the cupcakes dry out? I do not have enough freezer space to freeze them, but could put them in air tight containers, and would have enough refrigeratior space if that would be an option. I am still planning on decorating them when I get to Nebraska, because I don't want to try to haul decorated cupcakes for 14 hours!

Would the cupcakes stay moist longer if I filled them? If so, what would be the best filling to use?

Also, what icing does everyone use on their cupcakes when they put the nice swirl on the top?

Thanks for your help!!

LJ

3 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 4

I have never tried the WASC so I can't speak to the freshness of the cupcakes on the 4th day. I use DH and can vouch for freshness when sealed in an airtight container.

I use the basic Wilton BC frosting.

HTH, Congratulations and Best of Luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

Indydebi said something in a post that stuck with me. The freezer makes the cake moist and the fridge dries it up. (I'm pretty sure she meant if they are going to stay in the fridge for a while...because I know a lot of people will put them in the fridge to chill and keep the frostings that need to be refrigerated safe).

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 4

I think they'll be fine as long as you have them in an airtight container and keep them out of the heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%