Wasc Cake, Is This The Cake Of Choice? I Wasnt Impressed.

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm by -K8memphis

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #31 of 73

I always use Frech Vanilla cake mix by duncan. I personally think that tastes the best. I also use 3 whole eggs per cake mix and it's not too yellow. I don't notice a difference in color between using whole eggs or just whites per say but if I want a lighter (in texture) cake, I use just whites. If I want a denser cake, best for carving, I use whole eggs.
I also HATE almond flavoring, can't stress that enough. I think its gross, plus I get nervous about food allergies so I replace it with Rum extract and it's great, for the double cake mix, I use one tsp of rum and vanilla.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I also HATE almond flavoring, can't stress that enough. I think its gross,

I'm with ya there! I've already decided when I try this, it will be a straight vanilla cake.

I was a guest at a wedding and the cake icing had almond flavoring in it. It was real hard NOT to puke right there at the table. icon_eek.gif

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I'm with ya there! I've already decided when I try this, it will be a straight vanilla cake.

I was a guest at a wedding and the cake icing had almond flavoring in it. It was real hard NOT to puke right there at the table. icon_eek.gif

Amen! Amen! Amen! I love almonds, but I HATE almond extract. It's just plain nasty tasting to me.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:35pm
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees_luv

Quote:

Quote:

Amen! Amen! Amen! I love almonds, but I HATE almond extract. It's just plain nasty tasting to me.

I was working a bridal show for my boss and this one lady was the designated cake taster for the latest bridal party coming by. Dude, she totally spit the cake out, I mean noisily barf/spit the cake out in the trash can, spitting and wailing for water. It was the almond extract.

Oops.

So I pretty much avoid it now in anything I sell. I mean it's pretty much very not cool to have someone hurl your food out on the spot. Although I'm sitting here laughing about it now--does take a toll on the old psyche. Nobody's looking for an encore on that kwim???

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #35 of 73

LOL! Aww I would die if someone spit my cake out!!!

Wow guys I didnt think Id have 3 pages when I came back to check on this but I REALLY appreciate all the input.

After I posted this initially I went out into the living room and my hubby was sitting there eating a piece of this cake. I asked him "so, what do you think about the cake?" He just wrinkled his noise and was like, "eh." "What do you mean, eh? Do you like it?" "Well, its a lot drier than the cakes you usually make". OMG I was like thank goodness it wasnt just me!

As for almond, I love almond flavored stuff, but I think I will tone it down a bit next time.

Just so everyone knows what Im talking about, here is the recipe I used and I followed it exactly. I will look at the other recipes you guys posted and pick one to try next time. Probably one with oil as I will NOT be using this one again for sure. Too bad because the cake was beautiful, just wish it tasted more like cake and not a dry bread.

The *Original* WASC cake recipe

Serves/Yields: see notes
Prep. Time:
Cook Time: see notes at end
Category: Cake Mix Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe.
Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful to use a wire whisk; important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 4 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #36 of 73

My clients love my WASC...because of my flavoring blend: equal parts almond, butter and vanilla. A couple of clients have told me they've made bets (wagering chores or dinner) on what the "secret" flavor is. It's just yummy to them, but a mystery. It's my signature frosting flavor, as well. Hard not to eat a whole bowl of buttercream! icon_razz.gif

I can't bake WASC for my family because I will eat it all by myself. icon_rolleyes.gif

My name is Anna and I am addicted to WASC.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

My clients love my WASC...because of my flavoring blend: equal parts almond, butter and vanilla. A couple of clients have told me they've made bets (wagering chores or dinner) on what the "secret" flavor is. It's just yummy to them, but a mystery. It's my signature frosting flavor, as well. Hard not to eat a whole bowl of buttercream! icon_razz.gif

I can't bake WASC for my family because I will eat it all by myself. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh Anna,I'm glad I am not alone! Maybe we can start a support group, WLA (WASC lovers anonymous)

SugarFrosted Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Quote:

Oh Anna,I'm glad I am not alone! Maybe we can start a support group, WLA (WASC lovers anonymous)

Oh goody! A fellow addict! Umm, I mean ....sorry, I know how hard it is for you! We don't need to suffer alone anymore!

Now where's the WASC...erm...I mean where's that WAL meeting? icon_lol.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Wow guys I didnt think Id have 3 pages when I came back to check on this but I REALLY appreciate all the input.

After I posted this initially I went out into the living room and my hubby was sitting there eating a piece of this cake. I asked him "so, what do you think about the cake?" He just wrinkled his noise and was like, "eh." "What do you mean, eh? Do you like it?" "Well, its a lot drier than the cakes you usually make". OMG I was like thank goodness it wasnt just me!

As for almond, I love almond flavored stuff, but I think I will tone it down a bit next time.

Just so everyone knows what Im talking about, here is the recipe I used and I followed it exactly. I will look at the other recipes you guys posted and pick one to try next time. Probably one with oil as I will NOT be using this one again for sure. Too bad because the cake was beautiful, just wish it tasted more like cake and not a dry bread.

Prep. Time:

Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful to use a wire whisk; important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 4 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.

OMG - that's the exact same recipe I used when I made it!! Maybe it really is the recipe!

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #40 of 73
Quote:

Prep. Time:

1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

The only thing I can see that might have 'dried' it out - no box of pudding. Maybe try it w/ that?

Jajam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jajam Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:49am
post #41 of 73

I also was disappointed with this recipe, using vanilla. My husband is the ultimate cake lover, but he was not wowed by the taste. I agreed. That said, I will probably experiment a bit with this since I still have two more boxes of mix to use up. I do have a "mix" recipe that I like for the holidays, but it is for a "wet" type rum bundt cake.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:46am
post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I was working a bridal show for my boss and this one lady was the designated cake taster for the latest bridal party coming by. Dude, she totally spit the cake out, I mean noisily barf/spit the cake out in the trash can, spitting and wailing for water. It was the almond extract.

Oops.

So I pretty much avoid it now in anything I sell. I mean it's pretty much very not cool to have someone hurl your food out on the spot. Although I'm sitting here laughing about it now--does take a toll on the old psyche. Nobody's looking for an encore on that kwim???

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I feel much contempt for this woman. I don't care if you don't like the flavor, that reaction is just RUDE. icon_mad.gif

But yeah, my mother doesn't like almond extract, either--she says it tastes too much like licorice to her--and I have to say that I'm not all that fond of it, either. I usually make my WASC with straight vanilla, or, for a nice treat, vanilla bean paste. But the version I use is here: http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630 I think the version posted in this thread is dry because it doesn't have enough fats in it; a regular cake recipe always has butter or shortening or some such in it, or oil if it's a box mix, but the version above doesn't.

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:14am
post #43 of 73
Quote:

For those who use whole eggs .... it's no longer a "white" cake, then is it? icon_confused.gif I made a big sheet cake last week (22x2icon_cool.gif and went ahead and used whole eggs in the white part of the cake and of course it turned out yellow. I can't imagine serving that color of cake as my "white" wedding cake. I have this recipe printed out in my "try this out when you have some free time" pile (Free time? interesting concept! icon_biggrin.gif ). Does this recipe stay "white" with whole eggs, or is it a yellow cake?

I use whole eggs in my WASC, it does change the color so your not gonna have that "pure white" cake that you might be looking for, but I wouldn't say it's yellow either, maybe like an ivory or off white.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy_Cakes

Quote:

For those who use whole eggs .... it's no longer a "white" cake, then is it? icon_confused.gif I made a big sheet cake last week (22x2icon_cool.gif and went ahead and used whole eggs in the white part of the cake and of course it turned out yellow. I can't imagine serving that color of cake as my "white" wedding cake. I have this recipe printed out in my "try this out when you have some free time" pile (Free time? interesting concept! icon_biggrin.gif ). Does this recipe stay "white" with whole eggs, or is it a yellow cake?

I use whole eggs in my WASC, it does change the color so your not gonna have that "pure white" cake that you might be looking for, but I wouldn't say it's yellow either, maybe like an ivory or off white.

I always use whole eggs in my cakes as well (ofcourse I do doctored mixes...) but even for white cake - and have the same results as mommy_cakes - not pure white, but off-white. No-one has ever complained to me that it wasn't white enough, and I can't justify throwing all those egg yolks away (nor do I care to have them piling up in my freezer, lol).

On a side note, I LOVE almond flavoring!! (in icing and cookies, not so much in cakes). It automatically goes into my sugar cookies and my buttercream. No one has ever complained, everyone raves over it. (Usually my mother-in-law fusses that it needs more cause she can't taste it enough).

However, I also learned that some people expect buttercream to have that fake butter flavor (which gags me and I can't stand that popcorn butter smell...ech). When I switched to SS's BC I stopped adding butter flavoring to my icing and nobody missed it - until I got this one customer who hadn't ordered from me before but had tried my cupcakes at a friends house a YEAR before - she complained that it just didn't taste like buttercream - next time I added butterflavoring into the icing and she was a happy camper.

Ok sorry for rambling/hi-jacking the thread!

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Oops.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I feel much contempt for this woman. I don't care if you don't like the flavor, that reaction is just RUDE. icon_mad.gif

Yes--I wasn't feeling real happy with her myself. Apparently some folks are loud pukers--
Certainly made an indelible impression on moi.

But I mean wandering from table to table at a bridal show you could clearly expect to get some almond--if I was that sensitive to something I woulda asked first.
Whaddayahgonnado? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So I don't really make wasc, I make wvsc.

My daughter and I call it white anglo saxon cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

On a complete side note--my kid, the red-headed girl, is making her first (paid) wedding cuppy cake for a friend this June--how freaking cool is that??? She's a really good baker! (Where's the buttons busting off smilie face?) icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy_Cakes

Quote:

I always use whole eggs in my cakes as well (ofcourse I do doctored mixes...) but even for white cake - and have the same results as mommy_cakes - not pure white, but off-white. No-one has ever complained to me that it wasn't white enough, and I can't justify throwing all those egg yolks away (nor do I care to have them piling up in my freezer, lol)....

To me when you use the flavor trio of vanilla, lemon and almond you have yellow cake--then you gotta add some yellow food color. And that is nothing official--that's just in my brain.

So when I make the Sylvia cake with two of the four egg yolks it might not be pure bright white but it is no where near yellow in color.

So I didn't come close to answering your question but that's what I think.

I can tell you in the bakeries I've worked at the formula for yellow cake was white cake + yellow food color. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #47 of 73

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday. Thanks to Jan for cluing me in to this thread.
Still haven't read the whole thread yet........

IndyDebi said:
........For those who use whole eggs .... it's no longer a "white" cake, then is it?........

As has been said, there is a big difference between yellow and white *box cake* in taste and looks.
I don't bake scratch. I have almost always used BC mixes......it's just what I & my customers have gotten used to icon_smile.gif
When a bride orders a white wedding cake she gets the WASC version - yolks and all. Almost always they have had a taste sample so they know it's not a 'white, white' but more the color of Fr. Van mix icon_smile.gif

I realize personal tastes differ! I put in the recipe that flavoring is personal so experiment until you find what you do like.
Some of you are not going to like this recipe no matter what just as I don't like all flavors of cake or snails, rattlesnake, oysters and a host of other foods out there icon_smile.gif So you don't like it.......skip this recipe and go on with your life L0L You won't hurt my feelings one bit..... and I'll not come to your oyster party! icon_smile.gif
Lynne/kakeladi

SugarFrosted Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:49am
post #48 of 73

My ex-MIL had a saying she used anytime anyone questioned or criticized someone else's taste.

De gustibus non est disputandum...

That's Latin for: Concerning taste there is no dispute (or in other words, To each his own!)

I think that applies here.

P.S. I'm with you, Lynne, I'm allergic to oysters so you and I can go to get a steak dinner while everyone else goes to the oyster party. icon_wink.gif

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #49 of 73
Quote:

I use almond in my buttercream as well and everybody seems to LOVE it. My hubby who has always been averse to cake says my cakes and my icing have changed his mind!!! (High praise indeed) I have started calling my buttercream "frosting that makes knees go weak"

I am Jennifer and I am addicted to almond flavored buttercream.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #50 of 73

I used to hate almond flavored anything. I came up with my own recipes that use it in moderation & I like it now. I think the problem is people put to much almond extract. I am a scratch baker & have never used WASC, but I am gonna try it one day just to see what it's like.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #51 of 73

Hi All,

There's a great thread for WASC flavors and helpful tips.

The thread name is....

Gourmet Flavors ?????
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Below is the link for the google doc that Macsmon keeps up to date with all the new WASC flavor ideas and fillings. (you can also find the link in her signature)

Google Doc
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

It's really a wonderful thread full if ideas.
Tammy

JCE62108 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

Hi All,

There's a great thread for WASC flavors and helpful tips.

The thread name is....

Gourmet Flavors ?????
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Below is the link for the google doc that Macsmon keeps up to date with all the new WASC flavor ideas and fillings. (you can also find the link in her signature)

Google Doc
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

It's really a wonderful thread full if ideas.
Tammy

OMG you had to post that link. Ive been in that thread for at least 2 hours!!! Those gourmet cake flavors are amazing! LOL thanks so much for posting it. What a wealth of information! Im still looking through it all, I just needed to take a little breather. lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #53 of 73

..........with you, Lynne, I'm allergic to oysters so you and I can go to get a steak dinner ...........

Uuuggggggg!! icon_sad.gif No can do......I'm allergic to *steak* - yep, can't eat any beef icon_sad.gif ;(
Shell we meet at KFC?

SugarFrosted Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:51am
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

..........with you, Lynne, I'm allergic to oysters so you and I can go to get a steak dinner ...........

Uuuggggggg!! icon_sad.gif No can do......I'm allergic to *steak* - yep, can't eat any beef icon_sad.gif ;(
Shell we meet at KFC?

Oh you poor darlin'! Sounds like an excellent plan! It's a date!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #55 of 73

LOL

I thought you might like it. Macsmom is a wealth of information and so very nice to the people who ask her questions. I was lucky to find the thread early on and didnt have to read very many pages to catch up.

Tammy

JCE62108 Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:39am
post #56 of 73

I just had to let you guys know...I gave this cake another shot, using a different recipe. Its same as the original except with 1/4 oil and 4 eggs. OMG I cant even tell you how BIG of a difference that made! It went from a very dry cake to a seriously over moist cake. Not only that but every day it sat in the fridge it seemed to have gotten moister. It was great and Im so glad you guys told me there was another version to this recipe because, guess what....NOW YOU'VE GOT ME HOOKED!

SugarFrosted Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #57 of 73
Quote:

I just had to let you guys know...I gave this cake another shot, using a different recipe. Its same as the original except with 1/4 oil and 4 eggs. OMG I cant even tell you how BIG of a difference that made! It went from a very dry cake to a seriously over moist cake. Not only that but every day it sat in the fridge it seemed to have gotten moister. It was great and Im so glad you guys told me there was another version to this recipe because, guess what....NOW YOU'VE GOT ME HOOKED!

and now...Your name is JCE62108 and you are addicted to WASC.

Hello JCE62108, welcome to WASC (with oil and extra egg) Anonymous icon_wink.gif

bwahahahaha

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #58 of 73

Can this recipe be used for cupcakes too? Thanks!!

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #59 of 73

I've been using the WASC recipe (the one with the oil) for awhile now. It's getting to the point where everyone wants the WASC with raspberry filling! I did a cake for my brother's engagement party last night. The 10" tier was WASC w/raspberry filling, the 6" tier was freckled mocha w/kahlua cream filling. My DH kept telling me he was hearing people talk about "how good the cake is". It was the WASC that most everyone was worked up over! I did have some fans of the freckled mocha though!

Karen

JCE62108 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat1nacurv3s

Can this recipe be used for cupcakes too? Thanks!!

I dont see why not. Is there any cake batter that cant be used for cupcakes? Its basically just a smaller cake so why not?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%