Just Made The Ugliest Cake Ever!!! (Vent)

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 3:35am by Sarsi

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 32

LOL!! I have a cake due tomorrow, for a place I sell to regularly, and I had big plans for this cake!! It was going to be my masterpiece! It's a sheetcake, supposed to only be for 20 people, but they changed it to 50 at the last minute....I was going to ice it in blue, put a picket fence on it, and cover it with beautiful BC flowers.......that's what I was going to do!!

Instead, I airbrushed it blue, put "lattice" all over it, and tried to cover it with flowers. Only, none of the colours I mixed turned out right, they are horrible. The cake now looks so gawdy, I have no idea what I'm going to say when I drop it off tomorrow....AARGH!!!

So frustrating when things like this happen...my husband told me it was "original"...we all know what that means! LOL!!!

31 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 32

I have those days too i just don't take pics of those cakes and no one could ever prove that i made the cake....lol

shelly

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 32

I just went and took a look in your photo's and all of your cakes are great... I'm sure this cake is just as good as any of the others you have made.

Original, unique, different are not always a bad thing icon_smile.gif

Besides we are our own worst critic's at the best of times.

Any chance you might want to post a pic of it? Would love to see it icon_smile.gif

janebrophy Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 32

LOL!! Thanks for the compliments, but this one is really brutal....I'll take a pic of it, and post it tomorrow...tune in then for a good laugh!! LOL!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 32

I'd love to see a pic!

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:51am
post #6 of 32

awww, Jane, I HATE it when that happens! I'm sure it's not that bad though. Like MizzLizzy said, we are our own worst critic. That's a really great idea you had, I love the picket fence idea! *hugs*

janebrophy Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 32

Ok guys, here it is!! My Mom just told me it's lovely!! LOL!! I have no idea how I'm going to deliver this, and get out of the building before they open it.....nevermind charging money for it!! I just hate it when I can't make what's in my head come out on cake! I blame watching Lost while decorating! icon_wink.gif
LL

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 32

"When good cakes go bad...." Seriously, I think you're just too close to the project to be objective. You see in your mind what you wanted it to be, and then are disappointed with the reality. In truth, you shouldn't be ashamed of this cake at all.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #9 of 32

I think its pretty. Shows off your flower skills, and we all know, non-cake people are impressed with what we think are disasters.
Don't sweat it, and don't be too hard on yourself.
We are all our own worst critics!!

janebrophy Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 32

LOL!! Thanks guys! I was thinking of starting a CC Cake Wrecks thread, this being the opening number.....What a way to wreck a day, huh? I hate that I have to deliver this....

GeminiRJ - "when good cakes go bad..." LMAO!!! This one went seriously wrong!! I only hope people are wearing dark glasses!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 32

FWIW - I think your husband and mother are BOTH right. It is both original AND lovely. You are the only one who saw the image in your head, so we all would think that the end result is what it was supposed to look like. I really think it looks good and would't be ashamed to deliver that cake. Chin up, my friend....chin up!

janebrophy Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 32

Thanks jammjenks....I'm heading out any minute, and actually have nervous butterflies about the delivery....I'll be glad when it's over, I wish I'd had the time to scrape it off and redo it....oh well, I'll just have to redeem myself next week, unless they cancel after today!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 32

It will be fine! I know you aren't happy with this cake, and I understand 100%. I made a cell phone cake for a friend's daughter last weekend. Colors were pink and lime green. I was going to do the phone in lime green, the buttons and accents in pink. Changed my mind at the last minute and made the phone pink, buttons lime green. Which meant mixing up a lot more pink than I had planned. I knew that pinks can intensify over time, but crossed my fingers and proceeded. The cake went in the fridge a nice color pink...came out the next day HOT, SHOCKING PINK. It was an eye-popper that made me cringe when her husband came to pick it up. At least you took a picture of your cake...I wanted no proof whatsoever that the cake I made had ever existed! So I understand how you feel. But I'm guessing they'll love the cake!

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 32

i'd still eat the cake! heheeh i love purple flowers.. it looks delicious you know! they'll change their minds once they eat a piece of it. icon_smile.gif

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 32

I think it looks really nice.

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 32

FYI...my daughter just looked at your cake and said, "that cake is BEAUTIFUL." (ok..she's 4....but she's seen some pretty nice cakes, so I still say she's a good judge.)

I agree with the other ladies...I always beat myself up over my cakes...and the recipients are always so thrilled... we are our own worst critics...

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 32

They will love it. It's very colorful and the flowers are great!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #18 of 32

Wow I would love to receive this cake, you did a great job on it and the purple is gorgeous. My purples never come out that way, all of the colors are so rich.

I agree with Jammjenks as well on this one, deliver it to the customer with a smile cause I know they are gonna love it.

janebrophy Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 32

Well, Holy Cow, Thanks everyone! I can't believe how nice you all are!! I dropped the cake off this morning, and have not heard any feedback....that's a good thing, I never get feedback from them unless it's bad! LOL!! You all did a great job of making me feel good enough to get thru the delivery!!

Thanks again!!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #20 of 32

you can start breathing again Jane! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 32

We are for sure our own worst critics. People who we sell our cakes to would think that our worst night mare of a cake was outstanding. Your cake was clean, well decorated and very professional. You need to give yourself a pat on the back, it looks great!

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 32

I really think it's a very pretty cake! thumbs_up.gif

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #23 of 32

The cake looks yummy! And they get a flower or decoration with every slice......good times!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #24 of 32

Ditto what every one says about being our own worst critic.

When I complain about what a disaster my latest cake is my brother always says ...I'm not a cake person so I don't see what you see, all I see is a great cake and if it tastes 1/2 as good as it looks then don't sweat it. People will probably forget what it looks like, but they never forget a bad tasting cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #25 of 32

I don't think it looks as awful as you think! But I do know how disappointing it is when you have such high hopes and vision for a cake and it doesn't turn out at all like you hoped or expected it too....I've had a few also!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #26 of 32

I opened this thinking someone had a serious disaster and I see a lovely cake! U did a great job on your flowers and I'd be happy to pay for this cake.
No news is good news icon_smile.gif

dcasseus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcasseus Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #27 of 32

I only wish my ugliest cake looked like that. Tonight I truly made a disaster. I'm thinking of not charging my customer.

jojocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojocakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #28 of 32

Don't be to hard on yourself....your cake looks great! I wish I could make my BC flowers look like yours (I'm not so good at BC flowers).

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #29 of 32

OK, dont shoot me but I have to agree that the cake is a bit of a wreck. Sorry but you knew it and did not re-do it. Why would you risk your reputation by delivering something that you knew was not up to your usual standard? I do think you do lovely work with your BC flowers I wish I could do them. I just dont get why you did not redo it.

To others who read this: PLEASE do not relpy back to me telling me how hard I was on her. I was only honest. And yes there are plenty of wrecks in my collection. We all have them.

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:17am
post #30 of 32

I disagree completely her cake is not a "wreck" and if the whole thread had been read at the last minute the amount needed was changed from 20 people to 50??

This cake is not a wreck!! And your flowers are great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%