Need Receipe For Not So Sweet Buttercream

Decorating By jl5949 Updated 18 May 2009 , 4:38pm by Lineah

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 12

Hello,

I am looking for a buttercream receipe that is not to sweet but that easily crusts and can be left out of the fridge... any suggestions?

Thank you!

11 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 12

I've made the Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream, added non-dairy creamer to it to get it to crust better, and then left it out. It's not that sweet, so perhaps this will work for you. icon_smile.gif

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 12

Wow, GI thanks for the tip. Gonna try that one.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 12

I make indydeb's BC with only 6 cups of powdered sugar...I also add 1/2 tsp. of salt, and I always make it about 3 days before I need it because the flavor is crazy good that way.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 12

GI, I adore WBH buttercream but found out it doesn't crust at all. How much creamer do you add to make it crust? I am assuming you mean the powdered dry creamer. Please let me know. TIA> icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 12

I ended up adding a boatload of it, gosh perhaps maybe 1/3 to 1/2 c. of dry? I can't remember...and of course I didn't write it down. icon_redface.gif

I like the SMBC and have left it out all day and into the next day and the next. I didn't "fill" the cake, tho. And after about Day 3 if there was any cake left, then I just wrapped it tight and put it in the fridge.

SMBC is not a sweet or heavy icing and it was in a normal temp home. I wouldn't leave it out in the heat, or outside, tho.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:22am
post #8 of 12

There is one recipe that you replace 1 cup of corn starch for a cup of powdered sugar. I didn't care too much for the after taste but the customer thought it was wonderful.

GI Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:31am
post #9 of 12

cakeandpartygirl I tried that recipe and thought it was pretty bad, no offense to the maker of it. It was like, if it sounds too good to be true?? icon_lol.gif

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 12

I like "Julie's not so sweet buttercream" on this site. Let me know if you can't find it. It crusts and it's true...not so sweet.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

cakeandpartygirl I tried that recipe and thought it was pretty bad, no offense to the maker of it. It was like, if it sounds too good to be true?? icon_lol.gif

I tried that too and I didn't like it at all. The customer did. It wouldn't ever be something that I would add to my icings that I normally offer

Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 12

add salt...no joke, just a pinch at a time, it takes away the sweetness but doesn't add the salty tast. I can make my favorite recipies to customers taste on sweetness just baised on how much salt is added.
Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%