Ganache Questions-It's My First Time

Decorating By Jenthecakelady Updated 7 May 2009 , 12:32pm by Jenthecakelady

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 4

I have a birthday cake for a friend next weekend. His wife wants a chocolate cake-no other instructions for flavors so I was wanting to try my hand at ganache. The theme is poker so I was wanting to use the ganache under green fondant. Will the ganache be too dark underneath the green?
I also have someone else who wants chocolate mini cupcakes with chocolate icing (along with several other things) and I was thinking of using the whipped ganache as frosting. Is this too much chocolatey goodness or is it a good combo? I can always use chocolate BC, but this is for a friend of a friend and I kind of wanted to be impressive.
TIA

3 replies
JohnBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnBaker Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 4

If you are using a dark green fondant, (like a poker table cover), then I think ganache will be fine. You won't get a lot of chances to get the fondant adjusted once you get it on the cake though as ganache is pretty stickey.

Whipped ganache makes a great cup cake topping. I prefer it to buttercream as it is something that you don't always see. (I am really bored with buttercream).

Good luck

John the Baker

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 4

I personally think its not a problem, as long as your fondant is thick enough. Adatay uses ganache under her fondant and her cakes looks great... maybe she uses white choclate for her ganache.

I think the whipped ganache on chocolate cupcakes depends on the person's taste. I know some people who would love it and I know some who won't

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thank for the info guys. Looks like I'll be using my family as guinea pigs at Mother's Day dinner this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%