Can You Sub Corn Starch For Flour????

Decorating By Ronbob1984 Updated 6 May 2009 , 10:17pm by Jayde

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 3

I am looking to make an old fashioned boiled buttercream (like the kind on Red Velvet Cakes) and make it gluten free. I was wondering when you boil the milk and flour, can I use corn starch instead? What would be the substitution ratio that I would use? I have tried to find this everywhere and have had no luck.

Thanks
Robin

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 3

Hmm, I don't know for sure but I would think equal parts and I would just test it on a small amount & see how it does. Isn't swiss & italian meringue buttercreams gluten free?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 3

It will work, but it doesnt taste the same.

Basically what you use the flour for in that recipe is thickening. Corn starch will do the same thing, but it WILL NOT taste the same. You can certainly try it, but I would as K8 said test it out on a small batch to make sure that you like the flavor before you ruin a bunch of ingredients on a large batch of something that you dont like the flavor of.

You can also use cream cheese icing on red velvet cake or even a cream cheese flavored SMBC. Both of those are delicious!

As always when baking or cooking gluten free make sure that your pans are either new (never been used with regular wheat ingredients) or that you carefully clean your pans/pots with a bleach water solution and boiling water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%