IM Scared Of My Hexagon Cake For This Weekend.

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 7 May 2009 , 3:51pm by ShopGrl1128

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hello friends:
I have a 4 tier- hexagon shape cake for this Saturday and Im scare to death to even start.
Ive been having nightmares with this cake already, so many corners and on top of that the cake will be covered in BC, I havent done BC in ages, I do mostly fondant.
Delivery is about 1hr away and there will be two additional 2- tier hexagon cakes accompanying the 4 tier one.

Ill use bubble tea straws and one or two center dowels for stacking.
Do you have any recommendations for the delivery?

Im also scared of the whole BC issue, should I freeze the cakes for at least 2 or 3 hours before delivery?
It will be high 76F on Saturday.
I use crusting BC; do you think if I freeze the cakes theyll get air bubbles once they defrost?

Thank you in advance for all your recommendations.

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 4

NO ~ do not freeze your cakes before delivery, unless you want bad condensation issues and blow-outs!

Just refrigerate the cake overnight. Hex cakes are actually easier than squares because they are gentle corners, not sharp right angles.

Bubble tea straws and ONE central dowel is perfectly adequate. Don't go crazy with the dowels because too many will perforate the cake.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 4

Don't worry about the hex - it's easy to smooth. Use a bench scraper to smooth each side. Use "regular" buttercream, it's easy to smooth. And, I agree, don't freeze. Buttercream needs to be room temp to be palatable and even in 75 degree + it could take a couple of hours to get to room temp from refrigeration - freezing it could take all day to get creamy and soft. Make sure you use one dowel all the way through all tiers from the top down through and INTO the bottom - this provides stabilization. No worries!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much ladies! I wont freeze then.

I crumb coated the tiers last night and it was definitely a lot easier than what I thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%