Gelatin Loopy Bow Pic

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 9 May 2009 , 10:32pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 46

Here is my first gelatin loopy bow! I am having a blast playing with the new techniques I learned at our DOS this month.

It took some trial and error for me to get the proper thickness - but the 3rd time was charm and I finally got it figured out. I LOVE this technique!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1362188

45 replies
destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 46

That is very impressive! I didn't know you could make bows out of gelatin.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 46

Your bow is awesome!! Would you mind sharing how you did it?

Thanks.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 46

Wow, it looks like a bow you would actually put on a gift!
Would you be open to making a little tutorial?? If that isn't to much to ask....I'm sure everyone would really appreciate it

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 46

Wow that's awesome - I would also love to know how you accomplished that!

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 46

Thank you for all the nice comments!

I learned this technique from Diane Simmons of www.cakeconnection.com - she did a class and demo at our DOS this past month. I just called her this morning, because I didn't feel it was right that I post how to do this - she is writing a book on the subject that will be out in July. (it is not my technique, it is hers - and I don't want to take any credit away from her)

Sooo she said she would get on here the first of the week and post something about how to do it. (she has a lot of cake orders for this weekend and will be busy until then)

It is basically using her impression mat and painting gelatin on it. Then doing a loopy bow with that dried gelatin.

I hate not posting the instructions in detail, but I feel it should be her that does it. I hope you all understand.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 46

Oh of course I understand - I think it was very professional of you to let her know and also very nice of you to ask her to give us instructions! Thanks so much! Look forward to seeing how it's done!

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 46

She is a wonderful instructor - and very easy to talk to - I am so glad you understand!

I cannot wait for her book to be published!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 46

wow that is amazing! I can't wait to see how! I have wanted that crystal clear look!

wolken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolken Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 46

Hi Loucinda.
Thanks for the great tips and pic.
Would you mind letting all of us know when the book gets published??
thx

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 46

Just saw this and love it! I respect how you asked her before posting instructions. However, I will now have to become a stalker to the site to wait for her to get on and tell us! lol

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLover2

Just saw this and love it! I respect how you asked her before posting instructions. However, I will now have to become a stalker to the site to wait for her to get on and tell us! lol

I second this!!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I learned this technique from Diane Simmons of www.cakeconnection.com - she did a class and demo at our DOS this past month. I just called her this morning, because I didn't feel it was right that I post how to do this - she is writing a book on the subject that will be out in July. (it is not my technique, it is hers - and I don't want to take any credit away from her)

Sooo she said she would get on here the first of the week and post something about how to do it. (she has a lot of cake orders for this weekend and will be busy until then)

It is basically using her and painting gelatin on it. Then doing a loopy bow with that dried gelatin.

I hate not posting the instructions in detail, but I feel it should be her that does it. I hope you all understand.

Thanks Loucinda icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 46

Yes, please let us know when she publishes her book and when she posts on the site telling us how she did the bow.

Thanks for sharing as much as you did - we understand.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 46

Did the bow dry so it has some bounce to it like rubber? Or is it more stiff and brittle?

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 46

thanks so much cant wait to see the instructions

shelly

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 46

Oh my! That looks so real!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 46

That is gorgeous!!! Can't wait to hear the instructions....

...waiting impatiently... icon_smile.gif

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #19 of 46

I apologize, as I pm'd you prior to seeing this. Please ignore my request. Thanks!

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 46

Don't apologize!! For anyone who hasn't seen what I posted on the previous page, I am copying and pasting it here. I am not ignoring you, please believe me! I just want to be fair to Diane. (the person who came up with the technique)

It is basically using her impression mat and painting gelatin on it. Then doing a loopy bow with that dried gelatin.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #21 of 46

I did comment on the photo in the gallery. I saw this after i did that..sorry. It is absolutely wonderful! I really respect that you valued her enough to see if it was ok with her to give out the info. I too will wait patiently for instructions.
It really is a wonderful concept, and truely looks like a gift bow. Great work!

annettes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annettes Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #22 of 46

Holy smokes! I just stopped into her store last week and she was so very helpful. I'm saving my pennies to take one of her classes. I'm unemployed right now but my rainbow will come out so I can play with gelatin, I just know it icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 46

For those who commented on my pic and asked for the instructions, I am saving them all and as soon as I know she has posted about it, I will pm all of those who asked to make sure they see her post.

She was a great instructor and the techniques she has are really cool -the results are just so gorgeous! Save those pennies for her class, it is soo worth it!

Thanks again for understanding and waiting for her to post.

(and the bow is not stiff - in fact, in the demo she did, she picked up one of her pieces and dropped it on the table a couple of times so we could see it was not fragile!)

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #24 of 46

I'm one of those who found this thread after I pm'd you. So now add me to the list of those who appreciate your integrity for not giving someone elses techniqe away!! You rock!! And I can't wait for the posting...and the book!!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #25 of 46

Loucinda,
I think it's very admirable of you to wait until she posts the instructions! Could you please, if you have time, post a link to them on this thread? That might save you from sending a ton of pm's!
Thanks,
Jen

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #26 of 46

Please include me in your list to PM when the instructions come out--this bow is SO cool!! Thanks for sharing!

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #27 of 46

Beautiful work - I am sure she would be proud of her students work!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #28 of 46

That bow is so cool,please include me too in the list if you happen to be PMing people.Thanks a lot.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:14pm
post #29 of 46

I ordered her gelatin butterfly mold ( available at her site ).... now I can't WAIT to get the leaves and flowers..... if she has a mold for the bow, I'll get that too........ Check out the butterflies in my photos.......

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #30 of 46

I saw this recipe and thought it might work for the bows. I might try this weekend.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4735690_make-gelatin-plastic.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%