Sourish Imbc

Decorating By bbfanny Updated 8 May 2009 , 2:38am by bbfanny

bbfanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbfanny Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi Ladies,

I was trying to create IMBC with meringue powder instead of fresh egg. However, I noticed that my buttercream tasted sourish. Is that due to the cream of tartar in the meringue powder ? FYI, I used Wilton Meringue Powder.

apart from this, there were times, as soon as all the sugar has been incorporated into the meringue mixture, it turned dry and harden. Do i have to put in more water in the meringue mixture??

Hope some one could explain on what is the actual reason to the above icon_sad.gif

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 4

Wilton meringue powder has a lot more chemicals in it than just cream of tartar. I do IMBC with real egg whites and I put cream of tartar into the meringue, it doesn't throw the flavor off. It's probably the added "extras" in the meringue powder that's giving you that flavor.

I'd try it by using real egg whites instead of a meringue powder. The powders aren't really made for that purpose, so they don't work the same way.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 4

You can also try a powdered pasteurized egg product if you still want to use the egg powders, they don't have anything in them other than eggs. Or the Just Whites that are pasteurized. I've heard that some people use them for IMBCs, but on the label if says that it won't work for meringues, so I don't know. Maybe someone who's used them can respond to that question...

Here's the link for a description of the powdered egg whites. Notice that the only ingredient in them is egg whites, nothing added to it.

http://www.carbsmart.com/jw3.html

bbfanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbfanny Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 4

Hi costumeczar, thank you so much for the info. Really appreciate this.
Yeah, I guess it is not meant for that purpose. In where I lived, can hardly find powdered egg white. I guess, i would have to stick to fresh egg whites.

Tks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%