Dowels For Cake Stacking

Decorating By bakermommy4 Updated 6 May 2009 , 5:08pm by tracycakes

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:15am
post #1 of 3

I am stacking a 3 tiered cake (for the first time mind you) and I was wondering if you all think I should use 1 long dowel through all three tiers along with the dowels I use in the rest of the cake? And where would I buy those longer dowels?
This is the cake I have due in 2 weeks, I think I should dowel all the way through but don't know if I really need too, and don't know where to purchase the longer dowels.
I also need to know what kind of box should I put the cake in...I have never made a cake this large yet...I'm busting my 3 tier cherry...yay!! But I'm totally lost on packaging and support.
LL

2 replies
DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:49am
post #2 of 3

You can get the long dowels at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you are traveling with the cake stacked, dowel all the way through. If you are putting it together at the site, no dowels all the way through needed.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 3

I suggest you look into the SPS system that Leah recommends so highly. It is inexpensive and you can travel with a cake stacked - no problem at all. She has a sticky on the forums (don't remember which one) on how to use it. I have ordered mine from Oasis Supply and Love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%