Purse Cake Help

Decorating By sweetideas Updated 7 May 2009 , 4:07pm by nonnyscakes

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to attempt a purse cake but nothing Coach, just a purse for my grandmother. It there a tutorial? I saw several on here some laying on the side, but when I search I come up with only 3-4 and they aren't what I am looking for. How long does it take for the fondant handle to dry and what is the best method for keeping it upright on the cake?

Thanks for any information. The you-tubes I find are not informative, at least I haven't found one that shows what's going on. Just already finished cakes.

Thanks.

4 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 5

For the handle, I would use gumpaste or fondant with gumpaste and wrap it around a wire. I'd give it a couple days to dry.

They can be as basic as you want. I did one with a 6" round. Cut in two half circles and stack them on the cut side..

HTH a little bit.

tmterlaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmterlaan Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 5

I just made a Chanel purse for my daughter and I typed "How to make a purse cake" in the search engine and I found a hit on instructions with pictures for a stand up cake. It is by "briansbaker". It worked really well for me. I didn't make my handle stand up, so I can't help with the handle drying time, sorry. Check out my purse cake under "Chanel purse cake" in the search engine by tmterlaan and see if you like it, then you can see if it is the kind you want. I hope it works out for you.
icon_biggrin.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I did type that in and got the howdini cake finally, I don't know why it wasn't coming up before unless I was using YouTube. Anyway, I did get the instructions from CC by briansbaker and your cakes are so nice! Thanks for your response!

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 5

I made purse with handles laying down and another with the handles standing up. Mine are definitely not the best, but I will share. I used fondant over 18 gauge floral wire. I didn't really have drying time on the last one. I made the handles in the morning, finished the cake at 3 pm and delivered it to the party by 4 pm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%