A Few Dumb Newbie Questions.....please Help

Decorating By MrsNewBaker Updated 5 May 2009 , 6:41pm by G_Cakes

MrsNewBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNewBaker Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 6

i apologize if these are really dumb questions but i'm trying my hand at a new hobby so forgive me!!

- If I am making a round or sheet cake and want to place it in a box to deliver to work, etc... when i make the cake I place it on a cardboard round that is the same size or 1 size smaller than my cake? and do I place it on another board then decorate to put it in the box or how does this work?

- Is it better to use pipng gel or water to thin icing for writing?

- the leaf tip in the wilton kit 1 is absolutely horrible (either that or i am in the wrong hobby) is there another tip i can use for better results?

- after crumb coating do you refrigerate before doing the final coat, does that cause condensation issues?

- does anyone have issues with getting fibers in their icing when using viva paper towels?

I have sooooo many more questions but i'll stop for now lol thanks in advance for your responses

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, first, no question is dump that posted here. So you don't need to apologize. icon_smile.gif

You need to use cake drums or foam core boards to keep your cake. Once that's done then you can toret, fill and decorate. THen you can put the cake in a box, but it needs be same size as the board you are using. Here is a link to cake boards from wilton,

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31A373-475A-BAC0-5894BDEBFE84A837&fid=3E32F5A5-475A-BAC0-574560F21E2992F5

You also can buy form core board and cut it to the size you want. I always buy the boards 3" bigger than the cake. For example, if your cake is 10", the board will be 13".

For writing, I normaly use royal icing. If not, you can use lots of different letter cutters.

When I cover my cakes with fondant, I don't put it in the fridge. I use a layer of buttercream, thicker than the crumbcaot, and then cover it with fodant.

If you like to learn all these things properly, I would say that Sugarshack's DVD's are the best. Here is a link to her site,

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Sugar_Ed_Productions.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto on sugarshack's DVDs! She teaches everything step by step from leveling to filling, to crumb coating, to applying fondant to stacking. Her boxes and bows DVD is amazing and she has a new one coming out in June for topsy turvy cakes. I have them all it's some of the best money I have ever spent. I also have Jennifer Dontz's (jennifermi on this site) Fun With Fondant Frills DVD and it is one of my favorites. Her website is http://www.jenniferdontz.com/

MrsNewBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNewBaker Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for you guys responses!!!!! I think I'm going to have to break down and get sugarshacks dvd's I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to be able to do any of her techniques but maybe her dvd's can get me there

Thanks again!!

tracieudes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieudes Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

as far as the leaf tip, it is closed during packaging.. just take your spreader and open the gap a little.. and it works MUCH better.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 6

For the paper towel issue, I have not used viva but use parchment paper instead.

I find it gives me a very smooth finish and you can buy them in sheets or by the roll.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%