Mocha Cake (With A Mix)...needed!

Baking By twingirls05 Updated 5 May 2009 , 10:13pm by Jayde

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a good Mocha Cake recipe that uses a cake mix? Would love if you would share!

4 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 5

Use your favorite chocolate mix (mine is Duncan Hines) and substitute milk and cold coffee for the water.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 5

Hi twingirls05,

YUM! Mocha! icon_biggrin.gif

I make a chocolate cake batter as the base flavor and set aside. Then I add a "healthy" tablespoon of instant coffee into a ramekin with just enough boiling water to make "gooey coffee mud". Stir half of the coffee mud into the cake batter, taste test, then add a little more if needed. That's it. Sorry for the approximation; I don't really measure exactly.

DH Butter fudge recipe is what I use, but you can probably start with any choc. cake mix. That's why I recommend adding half of the coffee mud at first, and adding more if needed b/c each cake mix brand may take the coffee flavor differently.

Hth!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 5

I do the 'coffee mud' thing too. icon_smile.gif Except I use instant espresso. I hate the taste of instant coffee. Yuck!

Replacing the liquid with just regular brewed coffee will not impart a coffee flavor, but it will enhance the chocolate flavor, which is why I use it in all my chocolate cakes. icon_smile.gif Yum!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 5

Mocha Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup of half and half with 2 tsp of vinegar stirred into it (let sit until it starts to curdle)
1/2 cup of oil
1/3 cup of boiling water with 8 tbsp. of instant expresso powder (mix until dissolved)
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
1 cup white sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring (you could use coffee, but I use vanilla)

Sift your dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix eggs, sour cream, and oil. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix. Add half of your milk/vinegar mixture and mix. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and then the rest of the milk/vinegar mix. Add last 1/3 of dry and then your expresso mixture. Mix until just combined, scrape bowl and mix again until just combined. Bake at 325.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%