Cake Bible Neoclassic Buttercream Too Soft...?

Baking By PattyT Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm by sweetiesbykim

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:49am
post #1 of 8

I love to make a Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC), but had a ton of yolks so made Rose Levy Berenbaum's Cake Bible Neoclassic Buttercream (CBNB) - yolks, hot sugar/corn syrup, then butter. This batch I added in the amount of melted/cooled chocolate that the author recommended.

After beating (whisk attachment - KA mixer) with the final ingrediants for a pretty long time - similar to SMBC, it seemed a bit too soft - lifted out a spoonfull and peak drooped. I was afraid to continue for fear it would break. I put it into containers to freeze to use next week hoping it just may have been a bit warm in my kitchen.

I plan on bringing it back to room temp then beating the heck out of it again with whisk attachment to try and firm it up.

I do have an equal amount of SMBC that I could combine with it, but don't want to waste TWO batches and still have it too soft.

Thoughts or suggestions from anyone? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Pat

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 8

I've had meringue buttercream too soft before, and beaten some extra butter or shortening into it. It firmed up nicely.

But that was me fooling around....not sure if that's a "sanctioned" method...

PattyT Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks karateka! I don't need to use it till this weekend, but that's a good tip to try. thumbs_up.gif

A lot of my best frostings have come from my "fooling around"

Thanks again - Pat

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:48am
post #4 of 8

I have made that same recipe. It is very soft and tastes very buttery, but is smooth and beautiful. I tried piping it but it's difficult. I'm going to confess that I added 10x to thicken it up. Please don't yell at me.

PattyT Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

I have made that same recipe. It is very soft and tastes very buttery, but is smooth and beautiful. I tried piping it but it's difficult. I'm going to confess that I added 10x to thicken it up. Please don't yell at me.

No yelling...you "gotta do what you gotta do". After I thawed mine out, it seemed a bit firmer. Not sure it was necessary, but I mixed it with some SMBC so it would hold and it worked nicely.

Tasted wonderful too!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 8

It really IS a beautiful icing - I love the consistency. Glad it worked out for you!

heycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 8

I've made that recipe and it was so beautiful and smooth but I felt like I was eating a stick of butter. Do your clients like this taste? I did a testing for some friends who I did a wedding cake for and they preferred the American BC. I wasn't sure what others thoughts or experiences had been.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 8

I used to buy salted butter, but now buy the "1 lb in one chunk" butter from Sam's. I can taste the difference, and not so buttery.

I also found that the icing should not be yellow like butter, but white. Enough beating causes the BC to get white. I did a late night crumbcoat and didn't beat my SMBC long enough. When I went to frost the next am, the cc looked yellow compared to the topcoat frosting. I haven't made the neoclassic version for a few years, but the same rules should applyicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%