Help! Air Bubbles Under Fondant!

Decorating By cakenouveau Updated 13 May 2009 , 5:59am by Cakepro

cakenouveau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenouveau Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 8

Our bakery is having a problem with air bubbles pushing up the fondant on our covered cakes, especially as the weather warms up. Has anyone else had this happen?
We would appreciate any suggestions!
Linda

7 replies
heavenlybaked2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlybaked2 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #2 of 8

but it has been on cakes that were frozen and thawed not on the ones that were just cooled and covered. any suggestions to the air bubble issue??
another issue if slippage too after my cakes thawed out.

islandgirl72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl72 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 8

I had this happen on my Easter cake when I covered it before letting it come to room temperature. I also crumb-coated it when frozen so I think I was just inviting a condensation nightmare before I knew any better.

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 8

Are you using icing sugar to roll out your fondant. Cornflour can cause fermentation issues and gas will be created.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 8

I would bet money you are crumb coating your cake with bc on a cold cake, and then applying the fondant. When a cake comes to room temp it releases gas, which you trapped under the bc, and they come out in the form of bubbles. You need to crumb coat your cake at room temp, THEN put in the fridge before adding your fondant.

lbclark124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbclark124 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_Sweetie

Are you using icing sugar to roll out your fondant. Cornflour can cause fermentation issues and gas will be created.

We use cornstarch. Is that what you mean by cornflour?

lbclark124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbclark124 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

I would bet money you are crumb coating your cake with bc on a cold cake, and then applying the fondant. When a cake comes to room temp it releases gas, which you trapped under the bc, and they come out in the form of bubbles. You need to crumb coat your cake at room temp, THEN put in the fridge before adding your fondant.

Thanks for the info! I'll pass this along to the pastry chef. I'm not sure at what point she adds the b.c. Hopefully this will solve our problem! Thanks again!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:59am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_Sweetie

What causes the cornstarch to ferment?

I would love to know the source of your information. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%