Move A Fondant Tier?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 4 May 2009 , 10:51pm by tiggy2

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 6

I always see on TV how easy it is to move your fondant tiers... It seems I always end up denting the sides of my cake or messing up the bottom edge. I make 4" tiers on 1 cake circle. I use a layer of crusting buttercream underneath my fondant. Maybe I'm using too much buttercream underneath the fondant? Or maybe I need more than 1 cake circle? Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated! I've got my first wedding cake at the end of May and if I assemble there, I'm petrified that the edges of my cake will be destroyed on site... by ME! Thank you in Advance.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 6

I put the cake board on waxed paper in the box. Once I get there, I open out the side of the box, pull the waxed paper over so that I can get my fingers under the board without denting the side of the cake. I use the plastic dowels and I only push them halfway into the cake. Then set the next tier on top and the weight of it will push the dowels the rest of the way down, while leaving room to get my fingers out. Someone on here shared that trick before and I've been really grateful...but can't remember who it was to thank them! It looks neat too, the cake slowly settling into place.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 6

this used to be a big concern of mine too. I've learned to damage the cake less by letting it sit for a while, sometimes overnight, after I put on the fondant. This firms up the fondant so I don't get dents in it. Then with a very sturdy pie server thingy, I move it onto the stack by placing the pie server underneath and lifting it up and then tilting the the part of the cake furthest from me into place, and then carefully pull the server out while the cake is still tilted and then at the very end, just swipe it out and let the cake fall into place. Also, if any ajdustment needs to be done, try to do most of it while the cake is tilted. It makes is easier to move it that way.
Hope this helps.

KristyCakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 6

oh, what a great idea. Thank you so much! I do have a question. How do you know how tall to make your plastic dowels? I have been using wooden bamboo skewers up to this point for smaller cakes. I insert one, mark it with a pencil to the top of the cake, pull it out and then cut them all to that height. Are you doing something similar or am I really off on this one?

KristyCakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you, too, SharonK1973. I do need to invest in a sturdy pie server I guess. To date, I've just been holding them just above where I want them and just letting them drop into place as I quickly pull out my fingers. No wonder the bases are getting messed up!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 6

You need to measure the highest point of your tier and cut all of the dowels to that height. You can use a new, metal, sewing hem measurer and insert it into the cake in a few places to find the highest point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%