samona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samona Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 13

How do you make edible rhinestones?

12 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 13

I've never made rhinestones, but your question interested me.

I did some googling and I found this site http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/gems.aspx , at first I thought it was to buy the actual edible gems, but under the buy and view it shows the number of cavities so they seem to be molds.

And here's tips for working with sugar http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/hardcandy.aspx .

HTH! icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 13

I have not made rhinestones either, but I do make lots of hard candy. If you do not have a mold for the r.stones, I would try making a batch or 2 of hard candy in different colors. After it has cooled break it and use the pieces that best resemble the shape your looking for.

Hope this works.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 13

The list of things I want to buy is just without end. At this rate I'll never make a profit. But boy howdy, will my cakes get better and better! icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for asking this question...I was also looking for info this morning.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the the question and the links.

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #7 of 13

There's a few places to order sugar jewels. PCB-Creations.com.fr and jeff-the-chef.com. Chocolate Duck in NY are talking about carrying them and sugar bubbles too.

There are some silicone moulds out there too if you only want to make a small amount.

Hope that helps,
www.kincaellan.com

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:46am
post #8 of 13

kathy scott demoed hers at our dos couple months ago.. she will be demoing at ices convention also.. i bought some of her molds and prepared isomalt for pouring.. haven,t tried it yet.. she did a great job demoing this product. her website is ... sweetexpressions.com.. she sells on ebay also.. check out her site for more info.. hth

Michellers Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

kathy scott demoed hers at our dos couple months ago.. she will be demoing at ices convention also.. i bought some of her molds and prepared isomalt for pouring.. haven,t tried it yet.. she did a great job demoing this product. her website is ... sweetexpressions.com.. she sells on ebay also.. check out her site for more info.. hth

Bummer, that site only shows candy bouquets. Are you sure that's the correct site?

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 13

I just posted yesterday on cake decorating forum and decided to check over here for answers on making isomalt gems. I found a website that sells them, but they are so expensive, thought it would be worth my while to invest in the molds. There is a recipe at this website. I was hoping someone had used isomalt and edible glitter and could tell me how it worked out.

www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/isomalt.htm

underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 13

Sorry, I had a feeling the site would be blocked. Feel free to PM me for the site.

I'll keep watching in hopes someone has made their own gems.

One more questions, does isomalt hold up to humidity? Don't mean to jump on someone elses post, just seemed like the same question.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Michellers Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I found the correct site (thank you for the pm icon_smile.gif ) it's sweet express dot net. I don't want it to be blocked. When you click on edible gems on the left it will take you to her ebay listings.

Underthesun, if you read the listing for the mold it explains a little bit. I've never worked with this sort of medium yet, but I'm really interested in trying when the occasion comes up. She explains a bit, says you should make the gems ahead of time so you can see how the gems hold up in your climate. Hopefully Kathy Scott's listings can answer some of your questions. icon_smile.gif

underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 13

Michellers: thanks for the info! I decided to google isomalt and humidity and am very depressed icon_cry.gif Okay, maybe not that depressed icon_sad.gif Living on the barrier island off the east coast of florida, I know when to call it quits on an idea. I think I'll just make gumpaste gems and paint them with luster dust. My "bling" cake will still be cute, just not as cool. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%