How Much Have You Improved?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 20 May 2009 , 11:03pm by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 87

I feel like I am overly ambitious. I've only completed two fondant cakes and onto my 3rd. I will definitely need a lot of motivation and inspiration to tackle my next cake because everytime I make a cake, the outcome turns out completely different from the original design (because if plan A doesnt work out, I go to plan B, plan C and up to plan Z).

As my 3rd fondant cake, I am planning on making a life sized dress cake that is similar to what Elisa Strauss created on the first Episode of Last Cake Standing. I have everything planned, from the stand and the actual cake (Thanks to people from CC). Now, I am just scared to do it. I feel like a lot of money and time will be wasted if it doesn't work out-- from the ingredients, fondant and bulding of the stand. I will be limited with other plans if the original plan doesn't work out (tiered cake is more flexible than a dress cake).

If you see that you have improved, post your first fondant cake and your very best creation. It may give me, as well as other people a lot of inspiration and motivation.

THANKS

86 replies
Rylan Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 87

Anyone wants to show a picture of their first fondant cake and their best fondant cake?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 87

I don't do much fondant, but I've got some buttercream doozies. Some were bad enough that no picture was taken.

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 87

Aww I wish you could have taken a picture because your cakes are STUNNINGLY, AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!

jammjenks Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #5 of 87

You're making me blush...

Let me do a little digging and see what I can find to make you laugh. icon_lol.gif

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #6 of 87

Too bad I can't lie. I've been looking at your cakes for a while now.

jammjenks Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 87

Thank goodness my cakes taste good, because they sure were ugly!

Sometimes we can say, "Well, that's what the customer ordered," but I'm quite sure these are errors on the part of the decorator. I wish I had an assistant I could blame them on. Oh well....

Here are some to keep you in stitches for a while:
LL
LL
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 87

It takes a year to feel comfortable with your new skills and a lifetime for learning new one..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 87

Jammjenks: Haha, I can be your assistant. I actually wanted to go to North Carolina to join the gingerbread house competition.

Anyway, the other ones are not that bad. But compared with your current work and the best photo, I think you improved a LOT. That wedding cake is PERFECTLY MADE. I know there is nothing perfect in this world but I'm telling you, that is PERFECT! Oh and you piping skills are AWESOME.

Edna, I was just watching your videos earlier (over and over again). I must say that you are really realy humble when in comes to small people like me.

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #10 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Jammjenks: Haha, I can be your assistant. I actually wanted to go to North Carolina to join the gingerbread house competition.

Anyway, the other ones are not that bad. But compared with your current work and the best photo, I think you improved a LOT. That wedding cake is PERFECTLY MADE. I know there is nothing perfect in this world but I'm telling you, that is PERFECT! Oh and you piping skills are AWESOME.

Edna, I was just watching your videos earlier (over and over again). I must say that you are really realy humble when in comes to small people like me.

We all come from the same place..we all want to learn perfection...we all are the same..Im not better than you..just have more experience..you will get where I am..your passion is all you need.
Edna icon_smile.gif

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #11 of 87

i have gotten so much better in just the past 9 months or so i have done two spongebob cakes one for my son about 9 months ago and one last month for my nephew and i see a huge difference.
LL
LL

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #12 of 87

I am only starting and i havn't had the chance to make many cakes but i have learnt SO much about cake decorating in a short amount of time since my first decorated cake! thats thanks to all of you guys on here too and all your help with my questions and this website really opens up your imagination for cake decorating!

Like you Rylanty i have only done 2 fondant cakes but no where near as ambitious as yours, which are fantastic by the way!

The cake below was my 2nd cake and my first fondant cake, so i have to work backwards to buttercream now which i will do on my next cake lol i just did it nice and simple to start with but i am very proud of it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1329276

My second fondant fondant sadly had more probs then the first lol

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1337534

My next fondant cake i want to do is a stacked cake so i can learn to use dowels etc. But i can't wait to do many more cakes!

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #13 of 87

Edna: You totally made me smile. You are really really down to earth.

Shelly101: Wow. That is a huge diffence. Very very nice! I love it! Just 9 months? wow. Btw are those blown sugar?

Elise87: I've seen your cake too a while back and let me tell you, I was inlove with the details on that dress! Seriously. Your first cake is actually beautiful. Very clean.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #14 of 87

I think this is a sorry cake. I cringe when I look at the bulges and ragged edges... would love to take it out of my gallery, but we all start somewhere...
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1131313[/url]

Two years after I started:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327392

Never give up, never give up, never give up!!!

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #15 of 87

Win, other than the bulges... the cake looks pretty. I've also seen the flowers and oh my goodies! Those looked astonishing. The leaves was rolled really thin and looked delicate. Thats amazing.

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #16 of 87

I couldn't help to post this..
This was my very first cake..many, many years ago..Look How much I grown.. from this...

Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

mygirlsmne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlsmne Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #17 of 87

This was my very first cake! It was sooo pitiful! I was just practicing so I wrote my kids names on it, and the next cake is my most recent, it's been about 10 months!

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #18 of 87

This is my last one..
LL

shelly-101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #19 of 87

edna it is still a very pretty cake i really hope to one day be as good as you, hopefully i am on my way

but your most recent icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

shelly

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #20 of 87

I tell my students..there is always hope!..Look at me!..And I am still learning!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

shelly-101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #21 of 87

Rylanty i think you have improved so much from your first fondant cake to your second cake i have your second cake in my favs. your first cake is still very pretty though.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #22 of 87

This is my first fondant cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1208470 I did it in February of last year. I had tried making marshmallow fondant and I wanted to try putting it on a cake.

I did this one in August of last year http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258148

I did this one a year before all of that: http://darkmindseye.deviantart.com/art/B-day-tiers-with-stuffed-dogs-55432138 Notice it's so bad I don't even have it in my photos here, I put it on the other site for you-know-whats-and-giggles. In my defense, it was made for a friend's daughter and my friend had definite ideas about what she wanted and we had a budget of about $15.

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

This is my first fondant cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1208470 I did it in February of last year. I had tried making marshmallow fondant and I wanted to try putting it on a cake.

I did this one in August of last year http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258148

I did this one a year before all of that: http://darkmindseye.deviantart.com/art/B-day-tiers-with-stuffed-dogs-55432138 Notice it's so bad I don't even have it in my photos here, I put it on the other site for you-know-whats-and-giggles. In my defense, it was made for a friend's daughter and my friend had definite ideas about what she wanted and we had a budget of about $15.

I haven't post my first cake either..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #24 of 87

Thanks RylanTy, i love the dress details too it's just the fondant that caused me probs, so funny how it is suppose to be better the second time but not for me lol Good for you for diving straight into ambitious cakes that ended up turning out really great. I have so many ideas i want to do i just don't have enough excuses to make them icon_cry.gif

tonedna: That's insane, what a difference! but it is not like the first one was that bad anyway lol I love your work and the newest one!

My first decorated cake which i did before my fondant one i do like but not sure whether i want to put it on here cose i only used a glace sort of icing and it cracked when i quilted it etc. and not up to the standard on here i don't think lol icon_redface.gif

Everyones cakes here look great to me icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #25 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Thanks RylanTy, i love the dress details too it's just the fondant that caused me probs, so funny how it is suppose to be better the second time but not for me lol Good for you for diving straight into ambitious cakes that ended up turning out really great. I have so many ideas i want to do i just don't have enough excuses to make them icon_cry.gif

tonedna: That's insane, what a difference! but it is not like the first one was that bad anyway lol I love your work and the newest one!

My first decorated cake which i did before my fondant one i do like but not sure whether i want to put it on here cose i only used a glace sort of icing and it cracked when i quilted it etc. and not up to the standard on here i don't think lol icon_redface.gif

Everyones cakes here look great to me icon_biggrin.gif

That's why I say, my first one iced..The very first one I couldn't even ice. It got to be a mess of crumbs and no shape..I trew it away.. icon_lol.gif ... Never even took a photo of it.. I almost gave up after that!
Edna icon_rolleyes.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #26 of 87

lol well i have done 1 or 2 cakes before that but they were just putting on the icing from the packet mix etc and just piping a quick border on top when i was younger but yeh i never bothered to take a pic either lol This one i did a couple of months ago and is the first one i actually made a design for and colours and putting thought into it so i call it my first properly decorated cake ...but i do love it icon_smile.gif

Piping doesn't look too bad cose all my icing practice for my cakes comes from my 2 gingerbread houses i did before starting cakes lol

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #27 of 87

Well I think both of your cakes look so much better than my first one..you kicked my but elise! :icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #28 of 87

LOL that's not possible toedna.

Anyway since you all seem so nice for the heck of it i'll pop a photo of my 'First properly decorated cake' below but it's not going out of this forum post LOL
LL

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:29am
post #29 of 87

lol...I gotta say, my first cake was square..you know how difficult is to ice a square cake!.. To this day I still hate them!..But is a necesary evil.. You get over the trauma and keep practicing until finally one day it clicks!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #30 of 87

i am scared to cover a square cake in fondant lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%