So ... What Is Indydebi's Icing Recipe?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 5 May 2009 , 2:31am by FlourPots

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 9

Sorry guys! I know it should be very easy for me to find, but I'm not sure if it's me or the new Web site, I just don't see the recipe anywhere. I've been using Sugarshacks's great recipe, but have heard so much about Indydebi's icing and how it holds up in the worst of meltdown temperatures, that I figured I'd give it a whirl. Any chance someone can spot me the recipe? Thanks so much!

-Emi.

8 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 9

Here you go..............it's great I use it all of the time.

Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing

I was given this recipe over 25 years ago by a friend and it's the only icing recipe I've ever used. (I actually didn't know there were other "wedding cake icing" recipes out there!). All measurements are approximate since I'm a "until it looks right cook". Too thin? Add more sugar. Too thick? Add more milk. Luv the flavor of vanilla? Throw lots of it in there! This icing crusts VERY well and holds up great in extreme heat and humidity (passed the "sat outdoors in 90 degrees in August humidity in Indiana for over 5 hours" test!)

1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 9

I used it this weekend for the 1st time and everyone seemed to like it. Don't know about it holding up in the heat as it was cold and rainy all weekend. good luck

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Here you go..............it's great I use it all of the time.

Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing

I was given this recipe over 25 years ago by a friend and it's the only icing recipe I've ever used. (I actually didn't know there were other "wedding cake icing" recipes out there!). All measurements are approximate since I'm a "until it looks right cook". Too thin? Add more sugar. Too thick? Add more milk. Luv the flavor of vanilla? Throw lots of it in there! This icing crusts VERY well and holds up great in extreme heat and humidity (passed the "sat outdoors in 90 degrees in August humidity in Indiana for over 5 hours" test!)

1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

Can you describe the taste for me?? Is it really sweet....and since it is using crisco, does it leave that weird taste and feeling on the roof of your mouth?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 9

it is sweet but doesn't leave any taste or feeling on the roof of your mouth. I am not the best person to ask as I only ate a very small piece and am not a fan of buttercream (all buttercreams are too sweet for me, I prefer a ganache)

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 9

The recipe that I inserted is completly Indydeb stating how she got the recipe and how she mixes it - not me. I just wanted to clarify that.

It does not leave a greasy taste or feeling on the roof of your mouth. It is sweet - but not too sweet. It crusts beautifully, spreads great, I can get a very smooth finish on it and takes color great. I have used it under fondant and for borders and iced a whole cake with it. I really like it!!

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 9

wll, as far as taste goes, I eat it with a spoon...and I wonder why my pants won't zip...'nough said.

icon_rolleyes.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #8 of 9

Sounds great, thanks so much! It's actually not that different from Sugarshack's recipe, except for the Dream Whip part, and I know that other recipe has held up extremely well in 90-degree weather for me. So I'm game! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,
-Emi.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #9 of 9

I love it, but I only add 6 cups of powdered sugar.
I also add 1/2 tsp. of salt and always make it about 3 days before I need it because the taste gets better and better the longer it sits.

No greasy mouth feel...and I can eat it with a spoon too tapedshut.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%