Which Do You Prefer In Your Buttercream Icing And Why?

Decorating By queenie1958 Updated 5 May 2009 , 12:19am by queenie1958

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

Which do you use in your buttercream icing? Whipping cream, 10% cream, half and half, milk or water?
I need to make alot of little rosettes and scrolls ahead of time. The problem I have is I'm making my daughters wedding cake. First time making . I live 5 hours away from her and don't have space to freeze them. Even If I did freeze I still have to transport a fair distant before I get to her house to put cakes together. If I make the decorations ahead of time which liquid is best to use for dried decorations and stored in containers? If I can make ahead and store how long are they good for? icon_cry.gif
Any help is deeply appreciated.
I've only made two little cakes so far and this will be a challenge for me!
Newbie cake decorator

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 6

do you have a bc you are used to working with? cause you are probably best to stick with what you know and what you work. my bc is just butter and sugar, and liquid is milk, water or juice.
xx

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 6

I would think royal icing would be the best for what you're describing. Pipe the designs on waxed paper, let them dry, then just peel them off when you're ready to use them. Royal icing dries hard and it isn't as pleasant to eat as buttercream, but it will survive the trip no matter how warm it gets in your car.

queenie1958 Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 6

Yes I do have a awesome buttercream recipe I believe its serious cakes recipe. It calls for cream in it. I really like it alot. I was just wondering if I made the decorations and let air dry, would they be ok for the car trip in june? I guess I could put in a cooler to help keep then cool in the heat.
How long do buttercream decorations last air dried?
I really don't like royal icing at all.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 6

If your using BC with milk or cream I would suggest using it with in a few days, since any type of dairy product can go sour with to much heat or over time.

If this is something you plan on making ahead of time then just use water, this will give you longevity with making it ahead of time.

HTH...Lizzy

queenie1958 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 6

Thanks. I guess i'll use the water this time so the decorations last longer.
I tried a search under buttercream icing but only the recipes and articles came up nothing on the forums. I hate asking questions when they has to be what i'm looking for under the forum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%