Freezing Cakes??

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 15 May 2009 , 8:11pm by Hollysuann

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 14

I know I have read about this before, but I still have some questions... What is the best way to wrap the cakes? Would you just use a regular plastic wrap? Also when you are thawing the cakes do you un-wrap them or do you leave them all wrapped up??
Thank you so much in advance!!

13 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 14

This can be done various ways. The way I do it is to wrap first in plastic wrap then in foil. Thaw before unwrapping and allow to air dry for a while before covering.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

This can be done various ways. The way I do it is to wrap first in plastic wrap then in foil. Thaw before unwrapping and allow to air dry for a while before covering.

I do it the same way.

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 14

I wrap still warm cakes in 3 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil then place it in the freezer. The day I need to decorate it, I take it out of the freezer and leave it wrapped on the kitchen table till I get home. Once home, I unwrap it and put it on my cake board to air dry a little bit. Once dry, I ice it. I have been told that my cakes are the moistest cakes people have ever eaten. I think it has to do with freezing it while still warm. Hope this helps.

SJ169 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 14

THANK YOU!!!

I have my first "paid" cake this weekend for a baby shower and I have frozen the cakes but I was started to freak out a little bit!

You guys are the best icon_biggrin.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 14

If you are doing a carved cake, then it is best to start carving immediately after you take it out of the freezer. It's much easier to carve when frozen. Otherwise, everyone else is correct!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 14

So nobody frosts their cakes while it's still froze? Isn't it easier to frost while froze?...no crumbs. Or at lease the crumbcoat???

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 14

I usually do crumb coat when it's still frozen, b/c I do a lot of carved cakes. It doesn't hurt it, but if you completey frost the cake while frozen, it may mess with the icing consistency while it is coming to room temp. Maybe if you frost in thicker consistency icing then it will be ok.

TessaWood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TessaWood Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 14

I've frosted a cake while still frozen it was a sculptured noddy car but it worked for me. I was worried about the cake drying out. But don't take anything form me I'm to new at this!! He hee

hsimoneau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsimoneau Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 14

A related freezing question: how well does cream cheese icing freeze? I'm preparing the anniversary cake for my BIL, and I think that'd be the best taste combo.

Or, what would you suggest using with strawberry cake? Simple buttercream?

Thanks for any help!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 14

cream cheese does not freeze well so I would think that cream cheese frosting wouldn't either. JMHO

SJ169 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 14

Does anyone freeze cupcakes??

I have a wedding in the summer and they want 200 cupcakes! eek
Anywho I was wondering if I could freeze them, and how you would go about it.
Would you wrap them individualy or could you put them in an air tight container?

SJ169 Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 14

anyone? maybe??

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 14

I froze cupcakes once. I just put them in an airtight container, but they didn't come out so well, So I guess that I would wrap them in plastic wrap first if I was going to do it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%