Questions About Pre-Whipped Rich's Bettercreme Before I Buy

Decorating By Niliquely Updated 4 May 2009 , 7:40pm by MrsMabe

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 4

I am considering buying the large pails of pre-whipped Rich's Bettercreme for several reasons. Before I do I have a few questions....

Can you color it? I have read that paste coloring causes the icing to become dry and crumbly. What about adding liquid color?

Can it be refrozen? What do you do with the leftover icing? I will need to refreeze this product....

How easy is it to pipe flowers and other decorations besides writing and borders? Can I do those decorations in regular buttercream?

Thank you for your help and answers!

3 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 4

I have only used Sam's brand (its not Rich's but its similar). Here is my experience:

you can lightly color with but I have noticed changes in the texture (not as light). I have tried to water down gel colors but have had no better luck. I am going to try airbrushing next time.

I refreeze my buckets when I get them home. I divide them into smaller containers and defrost as needed without any problems. If you let it get too warm tho, the consistency will change. So I usually repackage and freeze within 1 hour of getting home.

It is difficult to decorate with. It seems like pushing the icing out of the smaller tips changes the consistency as well. So I use regular buttercream for my decorations.

HTH.

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 4

It does help, thank you.
What about leftover icing though? Can you refreeze it and then thaw and use again?

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 4

We use that frosting in the grocery store bakery I work in. It is harder to color. You have to be careful because if you over-mix while adding the color, the frosting gets really runny and nothing can fix it. It needs to be refrigerated. If you leave it out for too long, it gets crumbly and impossible to do anything with. It's harder to decorate with too. It's a lot softer than buttercream, so it's hard to get defined shapes, even on a shell border. If you add too much color, it gets runny too. And since it's a whipped frosting, you can't just add PS to firm it up. Ours comes in frozen. If you only need a portion of it, it's soft enough frozen to scoop out as much as you need without thawing. It's just a little firmer than ice cream in it's frozen state.

Really, I hate working with the stuff. I can do so much more with buttercream. But for basic, easy decorations, it works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%