Curious? Why I'm Not Getting Answers To My Questions Please?

Decorating By bourbs Updated 16 May 2009 , 2:41am by KawaiiCakeCook

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 56

Hi,

Not to be rude but, I really want to know if i am wording things wrong, or asking silly questions, difficult questions, or because of some other reason?
I've asked questions 3 times and only recieved one answer to one and none to others.
I see many questions that get so many replies, I just have wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm just really starting in cake decorating and I really need help sometimes?
Please don't think i'm being rude.

Thank You Marie

55 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 56

Hi there - I know for me, if it is something I know about, I will usually answer (unless there is already a bunch of replies) Most everyone on here is very helpful! Have you tried doing search on what you are looking for?

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 56

Hi Marie,

Just speaking for myself, I check in now and then each day, and it's always a different group of posts at the top of the home page. If I don't see a post up there, I don't know it exists. You're not the only one to feel this frustration - there have been times when I've needed help, too, and the "answerers" must not have seen my questions, either.

And if you still don't get any answers, well, I'm no great authority, but PM me and I'll try to direct you to the info you need. Hope that helps.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 56

Don't take it personally. I think timing is very important. If you post when people are getting ready for work, or at other busy times, you might not get a reply. I think that when questions don't receive an answer in the first few minutes they're posted on the home page, they disappear into the forums. (By posting something like, "Can anyone please help me?")
See? You already got three replies!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 56

Marie....somtimes "newbies" ask questions that have been asked a million times because they are unfamiliar with the site and don't know how to find answers. I know I have seen a question asked multiple times and didn't have the time or energy to answer so I ignored. Let me recommend that if you are not getting your answers to "search" the forum for your question. Odds are it has been asked and answered....many times over and you will get tons of information. CC is not a rude place at all.....and many people will continue to answer the repeated questions. This.....is just my opionion. Welcome to the CC family and the wonderful world of decorating!!! Deb

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 56

Alot of times there are so many questions posted that they don't last on the home page so people don't see them, until they are going through the actual forum. Like Loucinda said, try doing a search for whatever it is you are looking for. If you find a cake with whatever it is you are looking for, try PM ing the creator. Everyone on here is great with sharing!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 56

I too have posted questions and not received answers. If I really really needed the answer ASAP, I have tried to look through past posts to see if the topic had already been discussed.

Posting over holidays and long weekends I would imagine would also decrease the amount of looks you get.

Are people reading your posts?

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 56

I think if your question is not on the front page you have a harder time getting answers. It's easy to get buried since this place is so busy. Also, be patient, I don't know about your specific situation but many times I have had 30-50+ people view my question before an answer is posted.

Don't take it personally, I have had questions with no answer before. I don't think the people here intentionally ignore questions. Everyone tries to help when they can. icon_smile.gif

Once you get more familiar you will recognize certain members that you can PM with a question. Just know that's not always a guarantee if they are busy and don't log on.

I know the search function isn't the best but I have often found answers by digging through the forums myself. It's worth a try!

I hope some of this is helpful to you! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 56

I'm not sure what your issue is. I looked at your posts and all of them had answers (within a few hours) except for the "how to make a ruffle on a bonnet" cake. I saw that thread, but since I had no idea, I didn't post anything.

You do put good subject lines on your threads, which is great! The reason I checked your posts was to see if your subj line was too generic ..... "Help!" will get hardly any attention but "Help with royal icing roses" will get you more responses. But you do good at letting folks know what you need! thumbs_up.gif

One thread with no responses is hardly cause to ask "why aren't MY questions being answered?"

Another tip I'll share is that I never look at threads on the home page. I go straight to forums, click on View All Posts Since Last Visit (upper right hand corner) and that gives me ALL threads, new and those with new responses, that have popped in since my last visit. Much better to see 131 new posts than just 5! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 56

Wow Debi - thanks for that tip - I have been wondering how to view all new posts!!! Some of us need a mommy for everything...

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Another tip I'll share is that I never look at threads on the home page. I go straight to forums, click on View All Posts Since Last Visit (upper right hand corner) and that gives me ALL threads, new and those with new responses, that have popped in since my last visit. Much better to see 131 new posts than just 5! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I didn't know about this. Thanks, Debi. I hate that I miss out on so many good discussions. icon_smile.gif

bourbs Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 56

You are all so helpful and sweet. I definately understand what you're saying.
I love this place. I do try to remember to use the search and i will definately try harder.
I've learned so much here already, and I have had a few great replies to my query on the bonnet cake.
Hopefully I'm not taking on more than I can chew with this cake, but wt heck, have to try, lol

Again, thank you and I look forward to getting to know all of you!
Marie

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #13 of 56

Maybe the person is busy..I know I try to answer PM's on a daily basis but thursdays and fridays can get crazy!...Where are you asking this questions? Forums or PM's??
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #14 of 56

There are only 4 things that can possibly be the reason why you don't get any replies.

1. People don't see your post.

2. People who view your post doesn't know the answer

3. People who view your post who knows the answer has a reason why they can't reply

4. People who view your post who knows the answer, doesn't have a reason why they can't reply are plain *******s

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

There are only 4 things that can possibly be the reason why you don't get any replies.

1. People don't see your post.

2. People who view your post doesn't know the answer

3. People who view your post who knows the answer has a reason why they can't reply

4. People who view your post who knows the answer, doesn't have a reason why they can't reply are plain *******s

I find #4 quite funny... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #16 of 56

And possibly another key factor....I have to click "watch this topic for replies" when I post a question. If not, I won't know if I have an answer. Now, simply by me posting on this existing thread, I automatically am update of new replies. When I start a whole new one, I have to manually click it. Strange.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:23am
post #17 of 56

I never check the homepage either. I just go directly to the forums. I also like to check the "View unanswered posts" link to see if there is anything I can help with as well.

The search feature is definitely one of my favourite things here on CC. It might take a bit to get the hang of but once you do it will probably answer 90% of all your questions. Use the search link inside the forums tab not the search box you will find on the home page (you will see the search link(button) right between the forums and articles tab when you are in the forums tab.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #18 of 56

It can also be frustrating when you post your question and see how many people have "viewed" it and have no responses. icon_cry.gif

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #19 of 56

I am not a newbie anymore, but still consider myself new to cc. Many times I have tried to search the forums for answers, however my search does not come up with any answers. Example, last night I had a question about cream cheese frosting and ran a search. Nothing came up in forum. I know I saw a thread about it a few weeks ago, but I could not find it. Any tips on on to search forums?

bourbs Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:26pm
post #20 of 56

Hi Edna,

On the forums. I don't think of pm'ing. I don't like to bother people that I don't really know by pm'ing them in particular. i don't know how busy they are or how many people they have annoying them with questions icon_smile.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:38pm
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

I am not a newbie anymore, but still consider myself new to cc. Many times I have tried to search the forums for answers, however my search does not come up with any answers. Example, last night I had a question about cream cheese frosting and ran a search. Nothing came up in forum. I know I saw a thread about it a few weeks ago, but I could not find it. Any tips on on to search forums?

Use google and at the end of your question put cakecentral.

For example.. type: cream cheese frosting cakecentral

Google will sometimes try to tell you to correct the spelling, meaning putting a space between cake and central.. but don't.. because that is the key to getting posts directly from cakecentral icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbs

Hi Edna,

On the forums. I don't think of pm'ing. I don't like to bother people that I don't really know by pm'ing them in particular. i don't know how busy they are or how many people they have annoying them with questions icon_smile.gif

I get plenty of messages of people I dont know..And I am super busy...It doesnt bother me. And the worst that can happen is that if I cant get to the PM right away I have to answer it later. It doesnt bother me.. As long as I have an answer and I can help, is not a problem to me and it has never bothered me..
Edna icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #23 of 56

If we all would got directly to the 'forum' area and look for any post with '0' replies we could help out many people who have similar concerns like Marie does.
That's usually what I do.......go directly into the forums and look for those '0's & then for those w/only one or 2 replies. Usually we can answer their ?s. icon_smile.gif

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 56

Alexndrabill thank you so much for the tip on going to google. I have been going to the search function on cake central and rarely do I ever find anything under the forum section. I think this could be an area of future improvements and that would eliminate questions being asked over and over again.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #25 of 56
Quote:

Alexndrabill thank you so much for the tip on going to google. I have been going to the search function on cake central and rarely do I ever find anything under the forum section. I think this could be an area of future improvements and that would eliminate questions being asked over and over again.

I doubt that. People seem to be too lazy to use the search function before asking a question that has been answered a million times before.

Things I know the answers to and don't reply because I don't want to reinvent the wheel include:

I'm a newbie and doing my first wedding cake, which is 7 tiers. How exactly do I bake, torte, fill, frost, smooth, decorate, dowel, stack, and deliver this cake?

I'm buying an airbrush. Which kind is best?

Why do my cakes sink in the middle?

How do I make gumpaste flowers?

Etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam

indydebi Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #26 of 56
Quote:

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I find that the more words I use in the search field, the less likely I am to find what I'm looking for. Sometimes it's hard to come up with just a one-word-search (i.e. "icing" would be just TOO generic, of course!), but if you can, I find it helps.

Also if I can remember ANY cc'er who was part of the conversation, it helps to put their name in the "author" field. For example, if I enter "SPS" and search, I get 606 threads ..... no way I'm sorting thru all of those. If I enter "SPS" and put "leahs" in the author field, it narrows it down to 197 threads. Still a lot, but MUCH better than 606!!!!

I just view it as this is the ONE time that "too much information" applies! icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #27 of 56

The past few days search is not giving me any forum results at all. I even checked directly from a page with the words in the title to see if it would work, and still came up empty. I assume it's the site update messing it up.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

The past few days search is not giving me any forum results at all. I even checked directly from a page with the words in the title to see if it would work, and still came up empty. I assume it's the site update messing it up.

I had that problem but figured out that I can't just put something like horse. I have to put horse cake. Or butterfly cupcake not just butterfly. Try that, it worked for me.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #29 of 56

I think we need a chat room!!!! I feel silly making a complete forum for some of my questions. I just want some palce to go and chat in real time. Wouldn't that be lovely you have an emergency right NOW and you can run to the chat room and if the cake gods are smiling on you Ideby will be there, or barring that someone with more knowledge then you. No more waiting to see if maybe someone will stumble onto your forum with the right answer. No more hoping someone will commiserate with you over prices. No more forums about how much should I charge, we'll have immediate response of go to the previous posted forums! I want to chat, I want to to talk in real time, Rise up and shout together with me. "I WANT ANOTHER REASON TO SPEND MORE TIME ON CAKE CENTRAL. COM!!!!"

indydebi Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #30 of 56

A chat room has been suggested before and what I said then was .....

I dont' see how a chat room would be different. The forums are in real time already. The second you post your question or response, it shows up in the forums. If the person(s) who have the answer is in the forums (or the chat room), you'll get your answer right away. If these same person(s) is/are NOT in the forums (or the chat room), you'll be there, sitting there, waiting for your answer.

CC is one big chat room. I can't see how creating more programing that will eat up server space will help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%