Topsy Turvy Cake Question For The Experts!

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 5 May 2009 , 1:56am by cutthecake

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #1 of 5

I've been following the tutorial on PVC stands for topsy turvy cakes, and I have a question.....Can you bake the cakes in tube pans, so you don't have to cut out the middle (possibly off-center) of the cake? There are no dowels through the middle of the cake on a PVC stand, so you don't need the middle of the cake. Will the "missing cake" compromise the integrity of the cake's structure? I'm thinking you can also use the pan's insert to trace a perfectly centered hole in the cake drum.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

4 replies
clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 5

I"m certainly no expert but my first thought is that, unless the PVC and the tube/insert would have to be exactly the right diameter. If there's any wiggle room between the PVC and the cake, it'll just be too unstable, IMO.

cutthecake Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, clovely. I wonder if you could fill the gap with fondant or royal icing.
Anyone else have any other thought on this?

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 5

when i did my strawberry shortcake cake i used round cookie cutters the same diameter around as the pvc pipe. I set the cookie cutter in what i thought looked like the center and than took a ruler and made sure it was centered all the way around it is really not as hard as i thought it would be. Hope this helps

shelly

cutthecake Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 5

Thanks...that's a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%