Newbie Here! With A Question!

Decorating By baby-freckles Updated 4 May 2009 , 2:54pm by tiggerjo

baby-freckles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baby-freckles Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:41am
post #1 of 10

Hiya all,

I am Katie, 23 from Nottingham, UK.
I have joined this forum as I would really like to get into cake decorating.

My question is, how did all you expert decorators first start up cake decorating? I have tried looking into a part time course, but cant seem to find any locally.

Some of the stuff I have seen on here is fab and I would love to be able to do something like them!

Thanks for all your help and advice xx

9 replies
Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 10

Honestly I have never had a course. I have done lots of reading and listening to ideas from different people. Now, I am not even close to as good as a lot of people on here but I am just getting started and feel that I will continue to improve as time goes. My biggest thing is don't be scared to try something. Just do it! Even if it's a huge disaster you still learned something! Have fun with it!

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 10

As a newbie myself who doesn't have time to take courses (home with 2 kids under 2!) I've found youtube (especially tonedna's videos) and the DVD's you can order from the pros here the best way to self teach.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa540

Honestly I have never had a course. I have done lots of reading and listening to ideas from different people. Now, I am not even close to as good as a lot of people on here but I am just getting started and feel that I will continue to improve as time goes. My biggest thing is don't be scared to try something. Just do it! Even if it's a huge disaster you still learned something! Have fun with it!

And even if it is a huge disaster, it is cake and will probably taste good no matter what it looks like!!!
PS I've learned more from this site than the cake class that I took.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 10

I have taken the Wilton courses at my local craft store, but I have learned a lot from CC and YouTube.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 10

I'm a newbie too and I started out just like you. I took one Wilton course but had already learned so much here that I didn't keep going. Once I really got into it I went to school to get my Pastry Arts degree. A lot of time wasted because I just want to be an awesome cake decorator like the ladies on this site. I've learned more here than in school.

You have definitely come to the right place because there is a huge amount of talent here....tons of tutorials and threads on anything imaginable.

I say jump in with both feet girl and welcome to the gang!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 10

I have never taken a class too,i'm totally self taught as well,i learnt from the internet,CC,youtube and google.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 10

I personally think it's good to have a foundation to build on. So, I took all 4 Wilton classes. Learned a lot from that, but more from here and on youtube and some of the DVD's that are out there (try sugarshack's). Experience-especially cake disasters-teach us a lot.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 10

I havent taken any classes yet, so far it has been just searching for things online and joining CC. I wll most likely take one at some point, but so far I am self taught. I have had some pretty bad disasters lol, but I learned from my mistakes and I continue to get better.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 10

I am also a newbie. I did take Wilton coures 1, 2, and 3. Learned very basics. The people on here are great, I have learned much more here. Especially that a disaster is a learning tool. Good luck to ya and welcome to a whole new world of fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%