Cake And Frosting Combinations...

Decorating By shanna_banana Updated 5 May 2009 , 6:29pm by shanna_banana

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 16

I have looked at so many recipes my eyes are crossed. icon_cry.gif I know someone out there will be able to help. I'm making a cake for my Mom for Mother's Day. She wants something light and fruity. She doesn't know I'm making a cake, she thinks I'm making dessert.

So I came up with an orange cake...orange dreamsicle or maybe orange coconut. I'm just not sure about the frosting. Would cream cheese buttercream work? And what should I do for a filling?

I drove myself crazy with how I wanted to decorate it (I have three options) and now I really want it to taste good.

Any and all responses will be appreciated. TIA

15 replies
lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:33am
post #2 of 16

How about some kind of strawberry filling? Buttercream with pureed strawberry and then fresh slices between the layers. Or perhaps a strawberry mousse?
Orange also goes well with chocolate, dark or milk would be you choice.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 16

When I google "Orange Dreamsicle Cake" a lot of recipes come up with a lot of different frosting options. I mostly see whipped frostings. That sounds pretty good to me. That would keep it nice and light just like your mom wanted.

shanna_banana Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:07am
post #4 of 16

The strawberry sounds great to me lomfise, but it's not a favorite of my Mom's unfortunately. But thanks for your input!

I also saw some of the frosting recipes that go with the orange cakes aliciag829, but I wasn't sure they would be sturdy enough to cover with fondant. I am determined to use fondant. My last fondant cake was a real mess, but after reading everything here on CC, I know what I did wrong.

Do you think a whipped icing would work under fondant? I'm not a big fan of cool whip but I would be willing to try it. Am I making this too hard (on myself)? icon_cry.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:12am
post #5 of 16

I have heard that whipped icing doesn't work well under fondant. Relax and enjoy the process

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:21am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna_banana

Do you think a whipped icing would work under fondant? I'm not a big fan of cool whip but I would be willing to try it. Am I making this too hard (on myself)? icon_cry.gif

I often used a whipped cream icing under fondant, the trick is to let the cake 'breathe' for at least 5 hours in the fridge before covering it with fondant so all the excess moist of the whipped cream can escape. And then, if possible, not close the fondant tight around the cake. Make a few breathing holes if possible, under flowers or other decorations.

And no I don't think you are making it too hard for yourself. I am also in the process of conjuring up a cake for Mother's Day, and have settled for a lemoncake with lemoncurd buttercream and blackberry jam. It is to be decorated as Wolverine, my mother has a thing for Hugh Jackman and the X-men films. icon_biggrin.gif

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:37am
post #7 of 16

I have used a whipped mousse filling in my fondant cakes with success. It's 2 cups whipping cream and 1 large box instant pudding. Whip the cream until soft peaks form then slowly pour in the package of pudding while the mixer is running. Vanilla pudding would make a nice cream filling for your creamsicle cake. I would add the zest of one orange to give a little kick. This makes a nice stiff filling that's not too sweet. It holds up well if you let the filled cake settle for a few hours before covering with fondant (make sure to create a dam with buttercream before filling the cake).

When using this filling I refrigerate my cakes. I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about whether or not to refrigerate fondant cakes but from my experience if you don't keep your fridge on the coolest setting you should be fine. (Unless it's really hot where you live...)

shanna_banana Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:34am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

I am also in the process of conjuring up a cake for Mother's Day, and have settled for a lemoncake with lemoncurd buttercream and blackberry jam. It is to be decorated as Wolverine, my mother has a thing for Hugh Jackman and the X-men films. icon_biggrin.gif

That cracks me up lomfise...my Mom is into computers and Oprah. I think I'll wait for her b-day to tackle that one. For now it's going to be her favorite flower, an iris. I'll be making that for the first time with gumpaste. Your cake sounds really yummy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLopardi

I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about whether or not to refrigerate fondant cakes but from my experience if you don't keep your fridge on the coolest setting you should be fine. (Unless it's really hot where you live...)

That recipe sounds great MLopardi. I live in Arizona and it's going to be pretty hot here...supposed to hit 100 by Sunday. It's a dry heat, so do you think it will hold up? I also have a 20 minute drive to get there.

You guys are so great. I'd be totally lost without you. Thank you so much. icon_biggrin.gif

shanna_banana Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 16

aliciag829 and I have been trading PM's due to technical diffiulties icon_mad.gif with posting. I think I know what I am going to do and can stop panicking. icon_smile.gif Thanks again to all who gave their input. You have no idea what a relief it is knowing I have somewhere to go to ask questions.

Thanks again, aliciag829! thumbs_up.gif

minniepiper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minniepiper Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 16

Here is the recipe I used last week:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2413-Dubs-Dreamcycle-Cake.html

I used cream cheese icing, but I think next time I will use regular buttercream. It was almost to much with this cake. Let me tell you, it's yummy and moist! Hope this helps. You could even tort your cake with buttercream with some orange zest in it? Hope it turns out great!!

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 16

I think you'd be o.k as long as you have A/C in your car. That mousse gets thick. You mentioned maybe a coconut filling. I've added a 1/2 cup of flake coconut to the vanilla mousse and it is tast-y, plus it may add a little bit more structure.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 16

I made an orange cake from scratch not to long ago and filled it with a thin layer of creme bouquet bc and iced it. It was very good simple and everyone enjoyed it. It reminded me of a creamsicle. You can try a whipped bc version and add some heavy cream for a lighter bc.

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 16

One of my favorites is lemon cake with raspberry filling, it is amazing! And save the left over cake if you mix the cake with a bit of raspberry, make cake balls and dip them in white chocolate they are the best.

shanna_banana Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniepiper

You could even tort your cake with buttercream with some orange zest in it? Hope it turns out great!!

Thanks minniepiper. Stupid question I know, but what does "tort" mean? Is it when you cut many thin layers in the cake? icon_confused.gif

To all, thank you so much for all of your input. You have given me a lot of great ideas and I may have to make 2 cakes! icon_lol.gif I sure could use the practice. You guys are soooo great! I'll post a pic if it turns out half-way decent. icon_biggrin.gif

minniepiper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minniepiper Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 16

Your right! Torting is when you slice your cake or fill your layers with something other than the outside frosting.

Good Luck with your cake!! Let us know how it turns out!

shanna_banana Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you minniepiper. Now I'm getting excited instead of stressed! icon_lol.gif I'll come back and post the outcome after Mother's Day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%