Raw In The Middle Cake?

Decorating By onceuponacake Updated 12 May 2009 , 1:58am by shelbur10

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

Got a call from a customer who I did a cake for last week.

She called me yesterday (never mind the other cake disaster I had yesterday. Delivering a wedding cake, we get hit by a car that skidded, wedding cake and grooms cake DESTROYED).
ANyway she says the outside part of cake was good, the center she was told was undercooked/raw. This cake was carved slightly and shaped. I think I would have noticed it. I add pudding to the batter to make it more moist. I think it was the pudding settling in themiddle.

What should I offer? She said she thinks some of the cake was saved so we could look at it. Thanks

5 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 6

Oh...so sorry to hear about your disaster... every time I put a cake in my car, that's my fear (what if someone HITS me!) Aside from the poor cakes, I hope everyone involved is unhurt!
As for the undercooked cake, if you carved it, I am certain that you would have noticed if it were raw. Maybe it's just a much moister cake than she's used to? I would defintely take a look at that leftover cake and see what she's talking about. If it were truly raw in the middle, wouldn't it have just sunk when you took it out of the oven, let alone not held up for shaping/decorating? Unless there's truly a problem with the cake (after YOU see it), I would not offer anything. If it is underbaked, but they still served it, I would think a partial refund would be appropriate. But I wouldn't do anything until you see it.

onceuponacake Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 6

thanks shelbur! im a bit sore sprained wrist but everyone is okay. regarding the cake thats what i thought. it wasn sunk in the middle but ill see the prob if shebrings inthe cake. thanks! keep u posted

shelbur10 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

what ever happened with this? Did she bring you the leftover cake?

onceuponacake Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

we refunded her half. she never came in with the cake and we had just had the car accident so we just wanted to get rid of her. we are putting up a store refund policy on our website and on the order forms that basically says no reunfds if the cake is not returned so we can inspect it. you eat it no refunds...you want a refund we get the whole cake back.

another local cake decorator has had this same problem with people complaning and not having the cake to bring back or wanting to keep the cake and get a full refund. icon_confused.gif

shelbur10 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 6

thanks for the update. It's mighty suspicious that anyone would EAT a raw-in-the-middle cake... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%