Problems With Magic Line Pans

Decorating By sugarspice Updated 9 May 2009 , 7:55pm by sugarspice

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 8

I have some Magic Line pans that I bought about 4 years ago. I have noticed that the sides of the baked cake are not straight up/down. I happens with the rounds as well as square. The side of the cake tends to angle inward as you go from bottom to top of one layer. This happens no matter what brand of mix, exact mixing times as well as 2 different ovens.

Anyone else with this problem?? I thought they were good pans??? Thanks for any input!!

7 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 8

This does not sound like a pan problem, but rather an issue with your cakes shrinking a bit. I always notice that when I do get shrinkage, it follows this pattern.

However, I'm not sure how to fix the problem icon_redface.gif. I'd consult some online troubleshooting guides re: shrinkage, such as ba king911 .com (no spaces) to see if there are any other helpful variables besides oven temp. When I had this problem at its worst, it was due to not enough flour (measuring by scoop rather than weight) but since you are using mixes that is probably not the issue!

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:48am
post #3 of 8

Definately NOT the pan. ML pans have straight sides, that's only ONE of the reasons I love mine so much.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:22am
post #4 of 8

i recently had that problem, and it happened when i left the cake in the pan on the counter for a couple of hours to cool in the pan.

i usually take the cake out from the pan and let cool on the rack, but the other day, i was late to go out to pick my DD up at the kindy, so i rushed out, and left the cake in the pan on the counter as soon as i took it out of the oven.
when i got back, i was busy with the children, that i only had the chance to check the cake out after like 2 hours.

it shrunk towards the top. i'm guessing because i left it in the pan, with the parchment and all.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:24am
post #5 of 8

I put parchment in the bottom, but not the sides. I don't grease the pans and they've never shrunk. I always let them cool in the pans.

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 8

After you put the batter in the pans, try using your spatula to spread it out to all sides of the pan. I have magic line pans and I LOVE them. I've never had a problem. Also I know this sounds a bit obvious, but make sure your oven is level. I know that mine needs a small piece of cardboard under one of the legs.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 8

I think it might be your recipe. I baked a recipe for awhile (before I realized it really wasnt very good icon_eek.gif ) that did that. I havent had it happen again. I don't think it's the pan

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

OK, I am so glad it is NOT the pan!! You have given me several other things to check out...thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%