Do You Give Them Boxes?

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 4 May 2009 , 3:04am by paulstonia

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 36

Just wondering how many people put their cakes in boxes when customers come to pick them up. I've been looking into it and it seems like a pretty big expense to put every cake in a box. Do you box them up or hand them the cake on a board and send them on their way?

35 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 36

I think it's necessary to put them in a box for sanitary reasons. It also makes transporting them much easier. I would suggest raising your prices a little to allow for the extra cost of the box.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 36

box'em up!

Suziebee1126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suziebee1126 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 36

Try papermart online. Most boxes are less than 1 dollar/ea. You do have to buy a case but if you plan to keep selling cakes you'll be set for a while!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 36

Yes, every cake that gets picked up goes in a box. I box all cakes except for wedding cakes.

It would be a good idea to keep 12X12X6 and 19X14X4 boxes. You can put a multitude of cakes in them.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 36

Yes, it protects the cake from dust, bugs, and any other thing that might come into contact with a cake while they are carrying it home.
Also, it is more professional to send out a boxed cake.

LucyintheSky Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 36

Thanks Suzie, I'll have to check out papermart. April, I didn't even think about using the same sizes for lots of different cakes!! I don't know why, but I was thinking that I'd have to buy a zillion different sizes, but that makes soooo much more sense! Thanks for the idea!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #8 of 36

The times I've made cakes I've boxed them...

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #9 of 36

Yes, always in a box.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #10 of 36

Yes I box them, but my local cake shop sells them individually and the most expensive is 99 cents!

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #11 of 36

on top of all the reasons mentioned here, i agree w/ grams, it's more professional sending them out in a box, so box 'em up.. icon_smile.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #12 of 36

I always box my cakes. I buy my boxes in bulk from a local paper company. Some come in bundles of 100, some in bundles of 250 (depends on the size box). I go through a lot of boxes in a weeks time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #13 of 36

Box.

And if you're concerned about not making money because you added a $2 box, then you're severely underpricing your cakes to start with.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #14 of 36

But what if you have a tall cake, or even a two tiered birthday cake?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #15 of 36

If you ever need a sturdier box than the usual thin white cardboard ones, Home Depot sells moving boxes...the biggest one is $1.29. I cut one down to be two shallow boxes and then used the extra cardboard to make dividers for cupcakes, then covered the top with plastic wrap. It sounds like more work than it was icon_biggrin.gif I don't like to put cupcakes in the white cardboard boxes because they're too flimsy for that.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #16 of 36

If I have a tiered cake like the ones in my photos I get two boxes. But the top off one, cut a big X in the bottom of the other one. Then you can put them together. It is hard to explain but it works well.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #17 of 36

Do you ever use the plastic cupcake holders for inside the box? I get them at my local cake supply co. and they are great.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #18 of 36

Plus putting it in a box with a sticker on top is a great way to brand yourself.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:21am
post #19 of 36

Box. Always. It's unthinkable to send a cake out without being boxed, wedding or celebration.

Not only unthinkable, but unhygienic and very unprofessional.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:32am
post #20 of 36

i've never yet delivered a cake without boxes.

wouldn't they attract dust?

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 May 2009 , 10:20am
post #21 of 36

I can understand giving everyone a box but I'm still at a loss how to package a 3 or 4-tiered cake. Do they sell boxes specifically for large cakes? or do you have to kinda make your own? and how can you make sure the cake wont move around?

LucyintheSky Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:27pm
post #22 of 36

I haven't actually sold any cakes (yet), but I'm getting things in order to start doing so out of my mom's commercial bakery... She doesn't sell cakes, just pies, breads, cookies, etc. So we're working on getting the cake part going. I was mostly wondering this because a local woman who has a home bakery always sends her cakes without boxes. I know a lot of people who have ordered cakes (mostly sheet cakes) from her and they go to pick them up and come back with this huge cake on a cardboard. I always thought this was kind of strange, but I wasn't sure how common it was. I figured she definitely must be trying to avoid the cost of boxes (and yes, she WAY undercharges!). I checked out papermart and they have the CUTEST pink boxes in sizes I was thinking of ordering so I'll probably go with that!

indydebi Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwishes

I can understand giving everyone a box but I'm still at a loss how to package a 3 or 4-tiered cake.

I dont' sent out a 4 tier cake already assembled with a customer. I deliver it myself and assemble it on site.

sugarwishes Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I can understand giving everyone a box but I'm still at a loss how to package a 3 or 4-tiered cake.

I dont' sent out a 4 tier cake already assembled with a customer. I deliver it myself and assemble it on site.

but if someone were to pick up, how do you package it?????

do you box the cakes when you transfer to set up?

indydebi Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #25 of 36
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

but if someone were to pick up, how do you package it?????

do you box the cakes when you transfer to set up?

NOBODY picks up a pre-assembled 4-tier cake from me. I deliver and set up. Period. In 30 years, no one has ever said, "oh no problem ... we'll just pick it up!" Ever.

sugarwishes Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #26 of 36

Well maybe not you, but I had a friend pick up a 3-tier cake from me last week. I didn't put it in a box, since I have no clue what I should have put it in. So since Indydebi doesn't have any ideas, can somebody else give me some direction on this please icon_biggrin.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:55pm
post #27 of 36

Most areas has companies that sell paper products to companies. Such as food containers, paper bags, copy paper, cups, etc......There is a company (sevreal) that sell such products in my area they also sell bakery boxes of all sizes. Pie, sheet cake (several sizes), layer cakes (several sizes), etc....This is the way I buy mine. You have to buy in bulk. So for each size I buy, it depends on the size box I am buying, they come 100 to a bundle, some come 250 to a bundle. A 14.5x10.5x5 box comes 100 to a bundle this is for a 9x13 sheet cake. I also buy 10x10x2.5 for pies, cookies, cupcakes etc... they come 250 to a bundle. I buy a lot of different size boxes from them. For my two/three tiered cakes if I can't get a box in the size from them I need, I buy some boxes from Decopac as well to use for some cakes

Check the yellow pages in your area for paper products, you should have companies in you areas that sell these boxes. They do sell wholesale, but most will sell to the publc as well. HTH Debbie

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #28 of 36

Thanks for sharing the papermart link! I love it!!

sugarwishes Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #29 of 36

thanks dmhart thumbs_up.gif I really appreciate it. I'm going to check the yellow pages now.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #30 of 36

I box mine.. (brpboxshop.com - bought the case of 10"x10"x6" white boxes and the half sheet box, and the cupcake inserts)
most of my cake exceed the 6" height, so I just tape it slightly open, or leave the top off.
it doesn't solve the dust thing, but does keep people or car parts form touching the cake.
(oh and I deliver all my cakes)

it's a big upfront cost, but it will last you, and keep you from spending money on gas driving to buy a few at the cake store.
I sell a lot of small cakes, hence the 10" size (although I think I need to buy the 12 now).
so figure out your most common size, you can always pick up an extra one at a cake store for an odd size.

oh, and for my niece's cake, I drove it up in two pieces. I put the bottom tier in one cake, and the top tier and the smash cake in a separate box. I used a spare board and put a little RI on the top tier to keep it from sliding in the box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%