What Is The Oddest Thing You Add In Your Recipe.

Decorating By Rylan Updated 3 May 2009 , 5:08pm by mirda6275

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 12

Is there anything interesing that you add in your recipe? Something that most people would have never ever thought of? Would you like to share them?

Most of us bakers know that some add Mayonnaise on their chocolate recipe and some recipes even conatains ketchup. I've also heard that adding a few drops of vinegar to buttercream will help prevent cracking.

Oh and I also add crushed pineapples to my spaghetti and everyone loves it.

11 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 12

I just do the chocolate in chili...I don't think that's so odd anymore!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 12

I always thought that adding vinegar to red velvet cake was a bit odd. I do it though.

Rylan Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 12

Pastryjen: What do you mean by chili? how do you add it?

jammjenks: What does the vinegar do with the cake?

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 12

My DH's best friend swear by peanut butter in his spaghetti....I think he may have discovered this during his higher days, but still insists on it.

BLECK! tapedshut.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Pastryjen: What do you mean by chili? how do you add it?

Chili - gr beef, beans, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder etc! icon_lol.gif

After it's come to the simmer, I add a few chocolate chips or 2 or 3 hershey kisses (plain, not the cherry cordial ones!) to a big pot of chili.

I saw it on tv once and it kinda smooths it out a bit...plus it's chocolate, if anyone says you can add chocolate to something, I do!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 12

My mother always used to put vinegar in her pie crust recipe... It makes the crust nice and flaky! thumbs_up.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #8 of 12

I make my spaghetti sauce with Welch's Grape Jelly and cooled brewed coffee. My great big pot simmers all night long on the stove. It's so yummy, I'll eat it for breakfast. icon_lol.gif The roast in it shreds up nicely.

I add vinegar to my BC, vinegar to my chocolate cake recipes, vinegar to most things. Don't skimp on the really great quality of ingredients when baking, either.

I love LorAnn oils. But that's not odd. icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #9 of 12

I add vinegar to most cake recipes. I also add sour cream in place of half of the milk or water
I add grape jelly to my spaghetti sauce, too!

Rylan Posted 3 May 2009 , 9:39am
post #10 of 12

Pastryjen, I never even thought of that.

Oh and I never thought vinegar and grape jelly can do a LOT of things. Oh and peanut butter? Thats so odd.

I know most people probably know but I use marmalade in replacement of honey in honey BBQ wings. It's the bomb.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 12

I used to add peanut butter in my chocolate chip cookies for added fat, but I stopped that when I sent a guy nto the emergency room from peanut allergy. It was a friend and I didn't know about the peanut allergy.

It was just too scary for me.

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 12

the chocolate in the chili is more of a local thing. Here in Cincy all the chili is sweeter and chocolate or cocoa powder is a staple ingredient. Most out-of towners aren't a fan b/c they are used to spicy chili...i've grown up with it so it's normal for me. I can post a recipe if anyone's interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%