Need A Simple Wedding Cake Idea Fast

Decorating By shananjoe Updated 4 May 2009 , 4:03am by xstitcher

shananjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shananjoe Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 6

Just found out my younger cousin is getting married on May 13, 2009 and it is May 2nd now. It will only be a small wedding mainly her immediate family at most 20-25 people total. I have baked cakes for 18 years but nothing fancy just a store bought cake mix and tub icing. I would like to try and make it look as nice as possible. Any help is appreciated. I was thinking of a single layer rectangle cake with possibly 3 cupcakes on the top corner with silk flowers for a decoration. I have never made icing which I would like to try instead of store bought as the wedding is outside.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Shana .... big cousin to a great girl.

5 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 6

What about a cupcake display? So pretty and can be very simple! A swirl on top with heart candies or drop flowers. What are her colors or theme?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not great with designing cakes . . . for proof, look at my photos icon_redface.gif !!

However, I can recommend that you use the Buttercream Dream frosting recipe that's on this site. It's easy to make, spreads and smooths easily, and it's delicious!!

You probably already know this, but you should cool your cake completely, then apply a crumb coat. That means a really thin layer of frosting all over the cake to keep the crumbs from showing on your finished cake. Chill for about 10 minutes.

Then, if you follow the method in this video, you'll have a nice, smooth cake to start with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&feature=PlayList&p=6FA5C5B3F107BDB7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10

Hope this helps!!!

P.S. -- Everyone would love to see the finished product!!!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 6

I would do whatever flavor cake you think they would like (red velvet, lemon cake, whatever), with a nice filling. I am making a lemon raspberry cake soon using raspberry jam as filling. Cover with buttercream and use the Viva method to smooth it (google ir or search on CC). Make a nice little border and garnish with fresh fruit or flowers (either real flowers or gumpaste/fondant flowers).

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 6

I really like the cupcake idea, its easy and you could get some inexpensive footed cake plates and make a small tower.

often there is a small 6" round cake on the top for the bride and groom.

if you decide to do a cake remember flowers can cover up your mistakes if you have any.

be sure to keep the cake out of the sun.

when I read your idea of putting cupcakes I thought of this cake from wilton
http://www.wilton.com/idea/For-the-Hearty-Appetite

I think you could do a larger version of something like this and it would be really lovely. The heart is fitting for a wedding too.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6

I love the idea of using a cupcake tower. It's really easy to do and looks good to boot!

Here's a pic of one just to give you an idea:

icon_surprised.giffficial%26sa%3DN%26start%3D36%26um%3D1

Have fun and congrats to your cousin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%