How Would You Construct Mario?

Decorating By kwanghui Updated 5 May 2009 , 2:43am by pipe-dreams

kwanghui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwanghui Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #1 of 8

I have this Mario cake to make next week and will be making him out of RCT, but need to know EXACTLY how to dowel him including the arms. Could someone take a look at this link at tell me in your opinion what's the best way to do this. The bottom tier will be an 8" double layer, not the single layer like shown. Thanks for all your help!

http://www.markpascua.com/wp-content/super-mario-cake.jpg

7 replies
kwanghui Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 8

Can anyone help me????!!!!! TIA

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

First off, I find that sticking the rkt in the freezer for a bit helps firm them up. Dependin on how far in advance they will be made, you don't HAVE to do this. I just like to. Also, if you crush the RK before you mix them in, it helps with the bumps.

Now to your dowel question. I would stick a long dowel straight through his head into the cake board(just sharpen it first to a point). You may need to "hammer" it down, which is fine. Next, put one in his right arm(the one that's up) at a diagonal into the cake. Try to put another in there straight up and down, as far up as you can in his arm(like a little bit out from his shoulder). Then the arm that is touching the cake, dowel toward the shoulder and farther down toward his wrist if you think it needs it. Don't forget to put one in the mushroom in his hand so it doesn't fall over. If his head is really heavy, you might consider putting 2 in instead, just in case.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps you. That's just what I would do. Good luck, it looks like a really cute cake!!

kwanghui Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 8

thank you, thank you, thank you for your help! So if I stick both dowels in the arms into the RCP body, do you think they will hold? I wasn't sure if I need to all of the supports needed to be connected, like Courtney on the last cake standing did with all of the pipes. I just dont' want that one hand in the air to fall in transport. Do you think I should make his whole body days before decorating the cake or after the main cake has been in the refer? Thanks again for all your help!

pipe-dreams Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:47am
post #5 of 8

I would make his body first, before any cake baking. That way it has plenty of time to harden up. If you are artistic/handy enough, you could certainly do one whole pipe support. I myself am not very handy when it comes to that icon_smile.gif

If you can use the pipes, it would be the best bet. I always prefer safe than sorry. But if you just use dowels, I think it should be ok. If you get the dowels in and fondant on and everything, you should be able to tell if it is wobbly or stable. If you fell it's wobbly and are worried, you can always make an extra arm just in case. Or deliver it without the arm, and attach it when you arrive at the venue. Just make sure to bring some extra buttercream or piping gel or anything you may need.
Oh, and also put a tiny dowel piece in that hand to hold the dice(I'm sure you already knew that..!)

Your welcome! Glad I could help, since no one else was chiming in icon_wink.gif

kwanghui Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 8

SO I tried the RKT method with the head and after about 30 minutes the dowel started to crack his head and slide down. I'm afraid the weight is just too heavy to hold it on securely, even if it' dries after a few days too. I think his arm is too heavy to to hold. Should I make his head with a styro ball, his arm too? I don't want to wait till the day of to construct him, I just try to never use no-edible items, but in this case I don't think I have a choice. Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks again for all your help and advice icon_smile.gif

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

I'm sorry to hear about Mario's head! I'm getting ready to do a RKT head, and I hope that you get more advice. I know that the RKT have to be packed/compressed pretty firmly. I've wondered if there is anything that can be added to the mix to make it hold together better. Would corn syrup help? I, too am worried about the RK just falling apart. I might try a small batch with some CS tomorrow just to see if it makes a difference.
I'm like you - I don't like to use anything that is non-edible! Sometimes that makes it really hard! Good luck, I'll be anxious to hear how things are going.

Melissa

pipe-dreams Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #8 of 8

Oh no! I've seen other big things made from RKT, so I thought that would be okay for his head. You can definitely use styrofoam instead. I used a styro dummy head for my power ranger cake, and you couldn't tell it wasn't cake. Just make sure to put BC on under the fondant so it sticks. I hate using non food items, too. Maybe you can start another thread titled "RKT help" and see if you can get more advise before you try the styrofoam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%