Whipped Icing

Decorating By jenna86 Updated 4 May 2009 , 1:18pm by jenna86

jenna86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna86 Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a bridal shower cake this weekend. Bride and mom both like the whipped type icing you get at Kroger. I've only made bc. How do you make it? Is it stable enough to decorate? Does it taste good? Someone told me you buy it at GFS and it's called bettercream? (Not sure of the spelling.) Should I stick with what I know?

3 replies
clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:24am
post #2 of 4

I had the same request recently. It was for a cake with lots of decoration, lots of detail - some in icing, some with fondant and gumpaste. I was not comfortable trying something too new or that would be too soft. I used SMBC. It was yesterday so I haven't heard if they liked the icing. I found another thread on here where someone was asking for a "less sweet buttercream" and that's what was suggested. The lady the cake was for said she just didn't like "all that sweetness" but she said "that's just me" and if the whipped icing wouldn't work, that was OK (because I said I wasn't sure I could use that with all the other things I wanted to - it wasn't a simple sheet cake). Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the taste of SMBC - tastes like a stick of butter to me. But I'm one who really does like my buttercream - wish I didn't. I'll be interested to hear what other people suggest.

aide27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aide27 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 4

hi i mixed heavy cream 4 cups with 1/4 c.granulated sugar with the electric mixer and it is very light in taste we called chantilly i did not take the risk i used iced the cake with it and made my flowers and borders with buttercream but i saw a video in youtube is the tres leches orange cake and the guy uses chantilly and it seems that it hold the shape in borders and decorations i love the flavor of it it is for people who does not like very sweet stuff.

jenna86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna86 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your feedback! I decided to stick with buttercream. The bride just had a college graduation party and they ordered the whipped icing for their cake, and I'm sure they are getting it for their wedding cake also. I decided the cake is my donation, and I'm going to make buttercream. The bride's mom can't have dairy. It really limits you sometimes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%