Glace Vs Royal Icing - Please Help.

Baking By auntbeesbaking Updated 1 May 2009 , 9:52pm by drakegore

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 3

I wondered if anyone could tell me how Toba's Glace works for cookie decorating s as opposed to Royal Icing? I've seen Toba's Glace come up more and more and am curious about it. Does it get hard enough to "stack" cookies (within reason of course), or to package them in bags? How long does it take for them to dry?

May I also ask how the taste compares? My kids aren't crazy about the "crunchiness" of the royal icing.

I have about 5 dozen Confirmation Cross cookies to do tomorrow for Sunday and just wondered what way I should go.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Deb

2 replies
Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 3

Deb, I use Toba glaze for all my cookies and I use RI for outlining and the final accents if I need too. I usually outline and let that dry, then flood with the glaze and let that set over night and then finish. I like for them to be really dry to bag and tie so I give it plenty of time. The glaze is not crunchy like RI but it will be firm enough if you want to bag them! HTH

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 3

hi deb,

i use glace for outline, flood, and most of my decorations (it cannot do piped shapes likes drop flowers or leaves).

i like a seamless cookie (i don't like the outline to show) so i pipe the outline and flood within a couple minutes so there is no seam.

glace is not hard like RI but it is hard enough to bag after drying. i shy away from stacking.

i usually leave my cookies to dry overnight and they are ready for bagging the next morning.

i think the two biggest advantages to using glace are that you get a very palatable icing that most folks think tastes great (and you can flavor with both extracts and oils) and it has a beautiful sheen to it.

the disadvantages are longer drying time, not as tough/crunchy as RI (which can also be an advantage if you are a tongue, lol), and you cannot do some of the more elaborate decorations that you can do with RI ---- and in this case you can solve the problem by using glace to flood the cookie and use RI for any decorations you cannot do with glace (like linliv mentioned).

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%