Custard Help - Cake For Delivery Tonight

Decorating By Robbbbbbin Updated 4 May 2009 , 7:45am by MLopardi

Robbbbbbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robbbbbbin Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 3

I made the Vanilla Custard posted in the recipe section by yvette131 and it seems to be a bit runny for filling a cake. Has anyone made this before? Is there any way to thicken it up? I made it yesterday and it has been in the fridge since then and I still feel like it might be too runny even with a butter cream damn. I need to fill and decorate this cake in the next couple or hours...any help or advice would be great. Or any other quick and inexpensive way to make another vanilla custard filling...

THANK YOU so much in advance for any help!

2 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:18am
post #2 of 3

Sorry noone got to your post in time, but I was just looking at the recipe, and I would say next time you make it, to whisk it over the heat (before adding the butter) until it's thicker than this time you made it. There's really no way I can think of to thicken it once you've already made it. Also cornstarch is the thickening agent in that recipe, so make sure next time that you have measured it correctly, or you may want to add a little bit more. Sometimes the runniness is just condensation. When you cover it, make sure you put the plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard. HTH

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:45am
post #3 of 3

I have found that most custard recipes cook up too soft for filling cakes. I have had some success with replacing the cornstarch with flour. This makes for a thicker and more stable (no watery separation) custard. Also, it seems that using flour makes for a creamier texture where the cornstarch always seems to have a powdery/grainy texture. I also increase the amount of flour. For instance, if a recipe calls for 4 T of cornstarch, I would use 5 T of flour just to make it even thicker.

Sorry I didn't see this before your deadline. Hope this comes in handy for next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%