Cheap Cl Bride Haha

Business By Kitagrl Updated 18 May 2009 , 3:26pm by littlecake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 10

Okay so every once in awhile I check Craigslist just for kicks, to see what events are coming up or anything else interesting.

Found a lady wanting someone to cover five styrofoam tiers for her August wedding, she said "just fondant and a ribbon", "will provide all supplies" and compensation was $50-$200 "depending on skill".

So I thought...Hmm...I guess if she supplies everything, $200 wouldn't be bad for just doing the work, if its just a ribbon...so I emailed her. Hey it would be $200 for a few hours of work.

I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. LOL. She wanted the $200 would only be INCLUDING supplies and that's if the person did extra stuff besides just a ribbon. She said someone else gave her a quote of $160 but she wasn't sure, because she "didn't know how much she should pay for just styrofoam"

SO I emailed her back giving her a little lesson on cake pricing (cake, styrofoam, whatever), saying a custom styrofoam cost about the same as real cake because you are paying for the time and artwork...the only way its cheaper is if you rent a dummy from a place that does that and rents it out to several different brides. Anyway I told her if she can get a NICE dummy cake made for $160 she better snatch it up because that's dirt cheap...providing it even looks nice. (Five tiers mind you)

Toooo funny!

9 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 10

Wow..that just completely boggles my mind. icon_eek.gif $200 to cover supplies and your time? Agh, gotta love(?) cake civilians...

What gets me here is that she is willing to pay $50-$200. Is she expecting to pay for the supplies (the $50) and have someone build the "cake" for free, for a complete stranger, out of the kindness of their hearts? I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at her money logic (and I use that term loosely).

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 10

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...people are nuts!!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 10

icon_confused.gif Depending on skill? Was she going to "judge" your work after it was done to decide how much she would pay you? icon_confused.gif

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 10

Believe me there is nothing on earth that comes close to checking the ads concerning cakes on Craigslist when you want a roll on the floor laugh. I find myself yelling at the computer like a loon. Are these people for real? Sadly, yes they are...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 10

Here's a funny one, and it's a caker, not a bride: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/evs/1167106339.html

What first caught my attention about the ad is that she used to have a paragraph at the bottom about how she's not a homebaker with kind of rude wording.

Could you cut a 1X1.5X4 slice? Have you ever been a guest at a wedding with slices that size? I haven't.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 10

Well where I'm from home bakeries are apparently illegal. I am a hobby baker. So I can't charge but it slightly irritates me when I see these people posting and you can see in the background that they are baking from home, crap all over everywhere ( saw a live cat standing on the table by the cake in one pic one time) links to their website with prices that slay me. So advertising on CL plus having websites that state they charge. It's all I can do some days not to respond to one of these but then I realize it is none of my business and it will come to bite them in the butt. Heck, maybe I am wrong, maybe they have a legal bakery and need to bring cakes home and take pics with their animals supervising and post extremely misspelled, unprofessional ads because that's what I would do if I had a legal bakery...NOT! I'm all for people doing what they enjoy and I encourage everyone to make cakes and will help anyone but somehow this irks me. Sorry for the rant.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

Here's a funny one, and it's a caker, not a bride: http://sanantonio.craigslist.o.....06339.html

What first caught my attention about the ad is that she used to have a paragraph at the bottom about how she's not a homebaker with kind of rude wording.

Could you cut a 1X1.5X4 slice? Have you ever been a guest at a wedding with slices that size? I haven't.

That could be cakesdivine. She does it to pull people in as a marketing ploy, but most people order regular cakes. The cheap price gets them in the door. See this thread http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-631746.html. She's only sold one $99 cake because most upgraded. She also had the homebaker thing on there because in Texas we were working to get the law changed, so she was trying to recruit people to the cause, and she wanted to warn other bakers because a lot of people don't know the law. She wasn't trying to be snarky or rude, she was trying to be helpful. (At least, that's what I remember from some threads talking about that subject. People didn't appreciate her helpfulness because they didn't care about breaking the law, so maybe that's why she removed it.)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 10

I wasn't trying to offend anyone here...just thought that it was deceptive saying that a cake that size would serve 100 people. I found the ad when I was looking at cake ads so that I could email the ones who were obviously homebakers and tell them about the cottage food law that we were trying to get passed, and how they could support it.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 10

i have a cake that i offer that size, i tell them it feeds 70....to feed 100 the pieces would have to be small huh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%