Is Gum Paste Edible?

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 1 May 2009 , 8:24pm by brincess_b

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering if you can eat the gum paste decorations? I've never done anything with gum paste but I'm thinking of trying!
Thanks,
Ashley

8 replies
SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 9

You can eat them, however not many people want to. They are extremely hard once dried.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 9

Not really meant to be eaten. They do dry quite hard, so if someone wants to munch one...they certainly can!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 9

Technically all of the ingredients are edible but who would want to eat them. It is very hard and I can't imagine it would taste good if it taste at all.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 9

I've crunched on a few before, I made some "confetti" out of it, and it was really unavoidable....didn't even notice.

mrray98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrray98 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 9

I made a cake for the office the other day (they are my guinea pigs when I want to try out new flavors). I put some gumpaste flowers on the top and thought about telling people not to eat them. But I figured, who would want to crunch on something that hard? Needless to say.....they ate the entire cake, flowers and all, by 9:30am. The guys said they tasted "like sugar" and they are all still alive today.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Ashley,

Gumpaste is edible. Not very tasty, but i guess if you add some colorless flavor oil it will be better. It gets very hard and considering the time it takes to completely dry a piece I wouldnt want anyone i know to it eat. Mind you there are people who do eat it....its just really sweet.

Hope that helps,
Stacy

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry, I am at work and am not supposed to be on a message board, but I thought this topic would answer my question.

I ordered some royal icing and gumpaste flowers from a company. When they arrived, they said they are not for human consumption. I was planning on putting them on cupcakes! I read the ingredients and other than some long chemical like names, I think they are safe and maybe just labeled to avoid someone breaking a tooth or something. What do you guys think? I don't have time to make 400 daisies for on top of 400 cupcakes! I was really relying in on this! Help!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 9

i like crunching down on my gumpaste! totally edible, but most people probably wouldnt.
i would say that if those flowers are labled as not for eating, then by selling them on as being edible you would be royally screwed if anyone had any sort of problem with the cakes, and that fact came out.
i wonder if maybe the flowers are edible, but the whatever to preserve them or make them shiney isnt? contact the company directly and see what they say. you have my sympathies on this one!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%