Tricky Licensing Question

Business By LucyintheSky Updated 1 May 2009 , 12:38am by LucyintheSky

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 5

My mom owns a commercial bakery but does not make/sell cakes. She does primarily cookies, breads, and pies. I would like to start selling cakes out of her bakery but under my name (ex: lisa's cakes, or whatever) rather than her bakery name. Does anyone know if this is okay? I would, of course, be using her health inspected facilities to bake in, so it would be in no way a home-based business. Does the name matter, if the location is already a legitimate business that is monitored by the health department?

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

I think the only people who will be able to answer your question is your local Health Dept. Try giving them a call.

Good luck!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 5

The rules vary widely from county to county and state to state...best thinh to do is call your county's Health Dept and ask them what they require. thumbs_up.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 5

I totally agree with what everyone else has said. Here in Las Vegas, before I found out about being licensed in my particular part of the city, I was shopping around for a commercial kitchen to bake out of. I was told by the licensing dept here that I could have my own business name and use the address of which commercial kitchen I would be using. The kitchen would have to pass all specs though, which it would have, but I would have been able to use my own business name.

Check with your county's health dept though because what I have learned on this licensing journey...there is soooo much red tape and fine print.

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 5

Okay, thanks everybody... I kind of knew that was the answer I'd get, I guess I was hoping someone would say "oh sure, you're already a part of the family who owns it, you're just selling a different product, you're fine"! I know it's probably not that easy though!! I'll give them a call tomorrow and check things out. Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%