Frosting/plaster For Dummies

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm by Katie-Bug

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I am wanting to cover some dummies for displays.
I have used fondant in the past, quick but kinda expensive.
I have tried Royal an thought I would pull my hair hout trying to smooth it!!
So..I thought about trying the plaster..may be wrong name...that you can cover dummies with. Any thoughts on your experience with using this or links to purchase it?
Any other ideas?

Thanks! Katie icon_smile.gif

5 replies
lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 6

I use a light-weight wall spackle that I bought at Menards and apply it right over the styrofoam. It's super inexpensive and works great. The consistancy and application is very similar to buttercream. You can even pipe it by thinning it slightly with water.

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

Okay, I will try that!! thumbs_up.gif
Did you have to sand it after appling it?

Also, any pointers for holding the cake(dummie) down onto the board while trying to frost it? Mine keep sliding when I apply pressure.

Thanks Katie

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

No, I didn't sand it after. I used one of those small foam painter rollers (after I let it dry for about 10 minutes) to get it smooth. Worked out well.

Since they are so lightweight, it's kind of tough to get them to hold still while you decorate them. I used rolled packaging tape to hold them to my turntable, but that didn't work the best. I'd be curious what others use too. I was tempted to hot glue the sucker down, but restrained myself icon_biggrin.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie-Bug

Hi,
I am wanting to cover some dummies for displays.
I have used fondant in the past, quick but kinda expensive.
I have tried Royal an thought I would pull my hair hout trying to smooth it!!
So..I thought about trying the plaster..may be wrong name...that you can cover dummies with. Any thoughts on your experience with using this or links to purchase it?
Any other ideas?

Thanks! Katie icon_smile.gif

Katie what did you use under your fondant when you covered cake dummie? I get my cake dummies today and will start making portfolio cakes next week, but just curious if you used something special under your fondant when you did your dummies. Please let me know. Thanks!

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 6

Hi,
I used a layer of buttercream. but later found out that many on here just use a thin brush down with water. This is what I will be trying next time I do a fondant dummie.

Katie icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%