Limit Of Layers On Cake?

Decorating By Moodybird Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm by Moodybird

Moodybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moodybird Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 4

I'm working on a grooms cake & I need to know if there's a maximum amount of layers I can add before encountering problems with sinking or leaning. Once the cake is done, I'll only have about a 20 min drive for transport.

Each layer of the Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Red Velvet mix will measure 7 x 11 x 1 and I'm only planning to have 6-8 layers. The entire cake will then be iced and covered with fondant. Should this be OK?

3 replies
Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 4

so it would be around 8 inches tall? I'm a lil paranoid so I'd add a board every 3 inches or so; that would also make serving much easier....Just my thoughts though.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Belle

so it would be around 8 inches tall? I'm a lil paranoid so I'd add a board every 3 inches or so; that would also make serving much easier....Just my thoughts though.

I would be paranoid too, especially since it would likely be even taller than 8" due to icing and filling. That's alot of weight and I agree with you about putting a board and dowels in.

Moodybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moodybird Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4

Right...around 8" tall. It's for my cousin who is a paramedic, so I'm making an ambulance. I wanted it to have flashing lights so I've disassembled a toy and I'll be using the entire cab of the truck and the wheels. Sort of like a flatbed truck and the cake (with the dimensions I mentioned before) will be the cube part of the ambulance. I have the cake boards and dowels that I was anticipating using, so I think I'll take your advice & play it safe.

Thanks for your advice and reassurance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%