Airbrushing Questions

Decorating By slcoutu Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm by Cheyanne25

slcoutu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slcoutu Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 4

I am relatively new to cake decorating (within a year) and everything so far is basic BC or Fondant, now I really want to try airbrushing. My husband bought me a basic airbrushing kit from Michael's but I don't know if I need one specifically for using on food?? Also, what kind of "paint" do I use? I see lots of comments about Americolor...what is that?? Thanks for any help!!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:46am
post #2 of 4

You'll need to get a food color paint. It's basically a liquid food color rather than gel or paste and it's designed to go in an airbrush.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 4

I too am very new, just a few months actually. I bought a used airbrush that came with many colors. (NO INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL) I have no artistic talent and was kinda afraid of trying the airbrush. I finally did and it is awesome!!! Fear it will take time to become "good" with it but is not difficult at all. One thing I did learn is to keep your arm moving at all times. Starts and stops definately show up. I am at work but will check the name of my colors and let you know tonight. Good luck.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 4

I'm a fairly new resident in cakeland too, I just got my airbrush for my bday (from my amazing boyfriend), which was earlier this month.

I got the KopyKake brush, which is specifically for cakes, and I love it. The colours that came with it are Kroma Kolors. They come out really nice, and if I'm covering large area's and don't want the starts/stops/overlaps to show I spray the colours on at a medium-low setting, and when it dries all is forgiven! I've done a few cakes and I'm still shocked with how flawless they look after a few hours of drying.

I was a little intimidated to start when I first got it, I'll admit. I googled some websites with info about airbrushing in general, played a little on some blank paper and then decided I was ready to work with fondant. Never looked back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%