Just Grumbling.. Love Canada But ...

Business By -Tubbs Updated 4 May 2009 , 4:26am by margaretb

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 7

I've spent the MOST frustrating day searching for a three compartment sink for my little basement kitchen (for which I FINALLY have approval- YAY!). They are so expensive here! I have no budget, and there are no used ones to buy locally, yet when I go on ebay there are tons of cheap used ones south of the border. Even new they are loads more expensive here - the cheapest I could find locally was around $800 (Canadian) as opposed to US$400-500. So bloody frustrating!

Anyway, I wasn't really expecting much in the way of help, just needed to vent. Actually I think I feel a little better now! Thanks for reading!

6 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:07am
post #2 of 7

Sorry to hear you are having troubles finding what you need at a reasonable rate. I've not ever looked for a sink like that but i can relate to being frustrated that everything you look for is found easily and cheaper in the states. I want to pull my hair out some days. I, within minutes can find what i am looking for online, but they always seem to be in the USA wether it be for cake supplies or clothes. BUT>.to order them online, i face big shipping rates, duties and taxes..by then it hardly seems worth it. I wish Canada had more of everything the states have. I live in a border city so i sometimes travel over to the states to shop, but guarenteed almost every time i go shop they get me at the border and pull me in to pay duties..ugh... We always get the cranky lady in the booth who wouldn't dare break any rules...I just hate it too. I feel your pain. Hugs.

-Tubbs Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for understanding! Yes, it's the duties and taxes that are the killer, because you never know if you'll get got. Sometimes I've had stuff arrive at my door and I'll look at the delivery guy sideways, hoping he won't say "aaand, that's $58 to pay." Sometimes he does, sometimes not - If someone could explain the rhyme or reason to this, it would help a LOT!!!

Anyway, I've pretty much resigned myself to paying $1000 for my sink, which is outrageous, but what can you do...

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, so it's not just me who doesn't understand how the customs duties are applied.

TubbsCookies, this is prying, I know, so feel free to ignore, but can I ask how big your basement kitchen is and how much it is costing you to put it in? I really want to do something like that, but I haven't even got the slightest clue what it would cost. I live in a rural area, and I just got asked to make a cake for someone whom I've only met once. Well, I'm one of those people who can't say no, so I am doing it, but I am resenting it, because I am not legal so I can't charge (this guy is a new neighbour, so I'm trying to be neighbourly, but geez, how about instead of saying hey, I liked that cake you made for so and so would you make one for me, ask how much did it cost you and how long did it take ($27 not including the $9.99 cake board that I intend to reuse plus about 6 hours not including clean up time). THEN think about whether we are friends enough for you to ask that kind of favour from me. Oh well, my own fault. I've been thinking I should have said yes, as long as you watch the kids while I work on it, but this guy lets his 7 year old play grand theft auto and smokes around my baby, so NO NO NO.

Oops, got on a little rant there. Anyway, I was just excited to see someone in Alberta doing this and hoped I could pick your brain a little.

Margaret

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

FYI, just so you know, there is a law in Alberta Canada now that you cannot buy any used kitchen item that has a surface.... (i found this out when buying my sinks) I also wanted used items to cut the cost, every disturbuter told me they no long sell any used kitchen equipment that has a work surface (example, table, sinks, ) for the reason that the used item can be scrached up which the food can get traped in and cause unsafe food handeling. SO unfortunally our gonna have to spend the money... but wouldnt you rather have it done right? then to find out later its wrong and have to spend more money to fix it?? good luck with the kitchen.. its extremly hard to get it up and running and very frusrating also (ALWAYS 1 step forward and 2 steps back) There are SOOOOOOOOOOO many rules and regulations in AB that u have to go buy, that NO matter how hard u try to keep the cost down.. ttheres always something eles that u find out about that cost more $$$ NOt trying to freak u out here, just wanted to warn u as i had noone to warn me about it!!! LOL p.s get very close to the person who will be doing your health inspection they are very good with giving you the info u need... everyone eles (plumbing, building & electrial inspectors) will give u the run around!! grrrrr ahhaha

-Tubbs Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 7

(Sorry, I wasn't getting notifications...)
I have not heard about the 'all new' rule. There are certainly plenty of retailers around here still selling used tables and other equipment. As it turns out, I will be buying new, as my wonderful parents stepped in with a hefty Home Depot gift card yesterday (LOVE THEM) (LOVE THEM anyway, but love them A LOT when they come bearing LOVELY gift cards icon_lol.gif ). So it looks like I will have three stainless steel laundry sinks rather than a fancy shmancy triple pot sink! Never mind, it will do the job.

As to how much it's all costing; you know, I really couldn't tell you right now. The kitchen was framed by my husband and I, and drywalled by someone else as part of our general basement development. My DH has done all the electrical and plumbing. The electrical work was VERY complicated (he is an electrical engineer) so I think that would be quite pricy - it had to have its' own sub-panel etc. We used fire code drywall and the ceiling is flat rather than sprayed like the rest of the house. Everything has to be washable. All the codes are available online.

The size is pretty small - around 140 sq ft, I think, plus a small walk-in pantry. I think it will be small but perfect!

And you're definitely right about making friends with the Health Inspector, although mine has just gone on maternity leave, so I'm trying to find out who I talk to now...

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the info.

Margaret

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%