Black Scrolls On White Fondant, Help!!

Decorating By babyhugs Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 10:23am by cakesbydina

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 7

I have an order for a fondant cake and they want black scroll work put on it. What should I use that won't bleed into the white? I thought about royal icing or buttercream. Any other suggestions out there? Thanks in advance!!

6 replies
mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 7

Not too sure if it would work but you could try using chocolate, colouring it black and piping the scroll design? Not sure if that would work but with what ever you do decided make sure you trial it and give it time to see if it does bleed. Good luck with it hope others may have some suggestions for you icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7

I just did a black scrollwork on white fondant cake two weeks ago (see my pics). I used black buttercream and refrigerated the cake until delivery. There was no bleeding.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 7

I would think the black BC would be fine, but if you are worried, use royal.

Do an experiment on a pc. of fondant, that is your best bet. Different icings might produce different results.

Jen icon_smile.gif

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 7

black royal icing shouldn't bleed - as long as your fondant has set up over night and doesn't have condensation on it (or if the humidity is high). I've done black piping on fondant and never had a problem.

technically, buttercream would never really be completely dry like RI and runs the risk of bleeding

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:04am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for the help, I think I'll use the BC!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:23am
post #7 of 7

you can buy a scroll cutter and use black fondant for a clean, sharp look. It's very elegant and easier. No bleeding and much easier and faster too I might add.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%