Please Help Me With This Order!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 1 May 2009 , 11:00am by MikeRowesHunny

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, i took on an order im not really sure about. its for the cake below except in pink.

the decorations are fine but i dont have a rectangle cake tin and was going to make it out of a 10inch square. will this look ok or should i carve it into a rectangular shape? i dont want to lose much cake.... also, to make the top look like a book any tips for how to carve?? thanks so much, Cathy
LL

6 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 7

I would think you would need a larger pan if the cake is going to be very large. If you are carving from a squsre, you will lose a good bit of cak. You can go online on ebay and get a book-shaped cake pan. I got mine for about 4 bucks and it arrived in less than a week.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 7

You really should invest in a rectangular pan...... you will use it more than you know !

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 7

Depending on big you want the cake to be, I would bake TWO 10" squares and place them side by side. Then carve the shape of the book that way. You can use the natural seperation of the two cakes as the "spine" of the book! Everyone will think you got it from a mold!

Smaller cake? Use an 8" square!

Hope this helps!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for the advice, my problem is also that i havent got the right size of cake drums and boxes for anything bigger than a 10 inch at the minute. this has been fine for months as all my cakes are 6, 8 or 10 inches single or stacked but this is the first odd shaped cake. from the pic i think i might get away with it as a square if i do the book mark and the carving right - heres hoping!!

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:41am
post #6 of 7

If this is the picture they gave, I'd assume they want it to look like a book - I don't think a square will. Two 10's side by side seemed like the best suggestion.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:00am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

thanks for the advice, my problem is also that i havent got the right size of cake drums and boxes for anything bigger than a 10 inch at the minute. this has been fine for months as all my cakes are 6, 8 or 10 inches single or stacked but this is the first odd shaped cake. from the pic i think i might get away with it as a square if i do the book mark and the carving right - heres hoping!!

So you have 12in drums & boxes? Get yourself a 7x11in or 8x10in rectangular tin then. The 7x11 will serve up to 36, and the 8x10 up to 40. As a previous poster said, you will find a rectangular tin v.useful again. I like them when I'm asked to do joint birthday cakes as you can divide them down the middle and decorate each half for each person (although in that case I wouldn't use anything smaller than an 9x13in!).

Here are some UK based links for you:

http://cakestuff.bpweb.net/cake-tins-pans-oblong-cake-tins-c-91_165.html

http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/4/67/index.htm

http://www.craftcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Slab_Tins.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%