Car Magnets

Business By cylstrial Updated 15 May 2009 , 1:08am by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 17

Hi there,
What does your car magnet on the back of your car say when you are delivering a wedding cake?

Something like, "Delivering wedding cake. Please be patient".

Just curious what you would put for something like that.

Thanks!

16 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 17

I've been roughing out a back-of-car magnet on Vistaprint. It says "Wedding cake on board - thanks for your patience!"

cylstrial Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 17

That sounds great! Thanks for sharing! What size magnet did you get? (If you don't mind me asking).

lordbuffington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lordbuffington Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 17

Hi cylstral,

I work for a sign company and we do car magnets. Not to put anyone or anything down, the magnets that you get for "cheap" online and at national "print shop" chains are really just that - cheap. I've had countless clients come in for replacement magnets after they've ordered from these types of places, and the magnets tearing is usually the biggest reason.

The standard size that my company sells (we've been in business since 1972) is 12"h x 24"w with rounded corners. This helps the wind not grab a corner of the magnet and fly off your vehicle. We also use a MUCH thicker magnet material, which reduces tearing and flying off, significantly.

One set (pair of 2) usually goes for anywhere from $85 - $125 with full color graphics (logos and/or text). If that doesn't seem too outrageous to you, call a local sign company. I think the magnets will last you in the long run.

Andrea

cylstrial Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks Andrea! I really appreciate the info! I never would have known that if you hadn't posted it. And thanks for letting me know the size as well!!

Celeste

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 17

Vista Print is free, you just pay for shipping. I use them all the time to order custom things for my classroom (I'm a teacher), including those car magnets as signs for my magnetic board. I love them! Totally worth the $3 shipping!!

cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 17

That's actually what made me think to start this thread. I got a Vistaprint ad in the mail.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 17

Here's mine from vistaprint.
LL

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:18am
post #9 of 17

The lady who teaches the local Wilton classes's magnet simply says Cake on Board! I think the rest is self-explainatory.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 17

Your magnet came out nice!!

cylstrial Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 17

Jammjenks --- I love your magnet and the words! That is AWESOME!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

cylstrial Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 17

Jammjenks - what size car magnet did you order?

Thanks!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 17

Remember that if you were to ever get into an accident with a work magnet on your car and you don't have commercial auto insurance... your ins. co could deny your claim. This is why a lot of people stay away from the magnets.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 17

I just use the window paint and write on my back window. Then just wash it off at the gas station.

cylstrial Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks Jeanne! Do you think it would be ok if I just had a magnet that said "Cake delivery in progress"?

I don't actually have any business info to put on there. I'm just making this cake for my friends wedding present.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 17

It wouldn't matter to the insurance company... it shows that you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes hence your personal auto policy wouldn't cover you since you are technically using it for work. It sucks, but I hate to see anyone get burned.

cylstrial Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:08am
post #17 of 17

No -- that's good to know. I guess I don't really need it anyway, since I'm only delivering the one cake!

Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%